Need help with "plumbed in" sump setup.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shay

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Planted tanks? Difficult species? Water changes with bottled water? Storing R/O water?

Been there, done that. Done with that ... for now.

I want to set up a new tank (drilled 125) for absolute minimal maintenance. Here’s my proposed layout and the problems I’m encountering:
· POE filtering – I have a small water line at the tank that I have previously piped through a R/O unit into a storage tank. This time, I’m buying fish that are pretty happy with my tap water just the way it is. All I want to do is remove the chloramine. I cannot find an appropriate carbon-only filter. I’ve tried running my R/O filter (has three carbon cartridges) without the R/O membrane, but the flow is too fast. I could probably rig up something to give some back pressure, but I’m trying to avoid rig-ups.
· Sump issue 1 – I always stock light, and have never had a water-quality issue. I’m not trying to get crazy (or even optimal) with my bio-media, but I need a big enough sump that I can (on a timer) pump out a few gallons a day and allow the water to be replenished by my small water line (controlled by a float valve).
· Sump issue 2 – Rubbermaid and kin are out because I want to keep my heater in the sump. I have a corner to place the sump in, so the sump doesn’t have to be under the tank, but it should be half-way attractive. I’ve considered one of those barrel ponds, but I just don’t trust it and can’t see how I’d put baffles in it.
· Sump issue 3 – No point in having a drilled tank if I don’t have a drilled sump—I don’t completely trust that float valve. I need a sump I can drill. I don’t want to use an old drilled tank—I’m not risking leaks.

This will be nice if I can assemble it well—just feed the fish and vacuum once every few weeks.

I’ve had a same-size tank working with the water line and float valve in the past, but I just used the sump to store water-change water. Once a week, I re-primed my hob overflow and pumped the water from my storage tank to my aquarium, allowing the excess to drain through the overflow into my drainage lines. Everything worked, but I want to do a bit better job this go-around. No more hob overflow, so that’s one improvement. Can you help me with the rest?

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
You don't need to pump water out on a timer. Just have a constant flow into the tank at about 1 gallon per hour from the inlet. Then drill a drain in the sump at the height you want the water level to be. Instant 20% daily water change. You could also buy one of the premade acrylic sumps and modify that as you need to.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
What I did for a constant water change system was I ran new hot and cold water lines into my fish room and plumbed them into a mixing valve (this step was probably overkill based on the low flow going into the sump). I used an orifice valve and a small ball valve on a 1/4" line going into the sump to get appropriate flow. I had a two-float switch system that would pump water out as the level got too high, but if you are drilling your sump, it would be even easier to just plumb a drain it and let it overflow as the water is added in.

Shay

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Did y'all run that water in straight out of the tap? I don't think that would work where I live. We have chloramine which, at least according to what I've seen on the Internet, takes a week to gass off.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was using well water, so yes I was adding it straight in.

Chlorine will gas off, but my understanding is that chloramine is far more stable and will not gas off on its own, but needs to be chemically neutralized. There are a few options here. There are dosing pumps that you could use to just automatically dose your tank with prime to whatever degree the rate of water addition would require. There are also in-line mixing pumps that you could use to treat the source water real-time as it is drawn into the tank. Or (probably the simplest), you could just keep a reservoir of pre-treated water and use that as your water-change water. But, then you're back to holding/storing water someplace.

Neo did something similar to what you are looking for, check the thread out here - I think this is what you are looking to do:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...-Water-Dipping-(Chemical-Way)&highlight=prime

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store