Ich outbreak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
Hello, I had minor ich outbreak in my tank. My female GBR had some white spots on her fins (I noticed it early on) and I raised the temperature to 86 degrees and used API's Super Ich Cure (powder). After 48 hours, the spots have decreased (only one or two left) and none of my other fish have developed any. Her behavior never altered, and she is as vivacious as ever, and her colors are normal. The medicine, therefore, seems to be working. However, I know you aren't supposed to filter with carbon during treatment. I don't regularly filter with carbon anyways, but I did leave empty filter cartridges (cotton mesh bags) in the filter to maintain mechanical filtration. Will this inhibit the effectiveness of the treatment? My water only stayed blue-green for a few hours before clearing up, and I am wondering if the cotton could have absorbed it prematurely. Also, should I go through a second full treatment cycle ;(96 hrs) after I finish the first, even if symptoms have cleared up? The medicine says add carbon and change 20% water after treatment; if I am to treat a second time, should I still add carbon to remove the first batch of meds and change water between treatments? Also, is it necessary to sterilize (boil) equipment (an airstone for instance) before returning my tank to normal? I assume that the heat and medicine will kill any ich left over, but I just want to make sure. By the way, I did email and call API about the medicine absorption question, and they did not respond.

amd889

Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Madison WI
I have a similar question! I added malachite green to my tank and it disappeared after a few hours and I'm concerned that if the color is gone the malachite green that kills the ich is gone too!!!!

theluckysloth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2013
Virginia
Real Name
Seth
I contacted the company, if you took carbon out, it's fine. Filter floss will not remove the medication. The fading of the green is due to the stuff dissolving and spreading evenly throughout all the water.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
No worries! After a few doses, you will have successfully turned your silicone and air tubes a pretty blue color!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Did you introduce a new critter into the tank before the outbreak?

When I spiraled back into Tankaholism about a year ago, I brought ich into my 29gal by introducing a bunch of store bought fish into the tank at once. I too used API's super ick cure and all the fish that were treated, pulled through. It will take several large water changes to take the blue out of your tank. None of my decor permanently stained from this product.

If I ever go through it again, I'd just raise the water temp, do lots of water changes and let it ride.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you are going to use a medication, you should complete the treatment course as instructed by the packaging. Doing anything less increases the odds that a resistant strain will develop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store