crypt plant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Can it survive if the leaves are above the water but the roots in water?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Can it survive if the leaves are above the water but the roots in water?
Kind of.

Crypts are often grown this way--it's one of the main causes of 'melt', where you buy a pretty plant, put it in your tank, and all the leaves melt. If the root structure is intact and healthy, it will regrow leaves and be fine, although the leaves may be different size/color from the emmersed ones.

Presumably, going in the reverse order runs the same risk--the leaves that grew immersed may die off, and be replaced so long as the root structure is healthy.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks for the info! I'm tinkering with an "algae scrubber" prototype for my 34G tank...
I'm putting it together today. You know, make something grow really well away from the display tank so that this plant soaks up extra nutrients... hopefully this mean less algae in the main tank...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are loads of options if you're looking for something that doesn't need substrate. Pothos and spider plants come in a wide variety of colors and will be more than happy to grow with their roots in the water.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Oh thanks for mentioning other plants. I went to Aquarium Adventure looking for floating plants but they didn't any. He recommended the crypt after I told him what I wanted the plants for. I'll post my crazy contraption later.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
You don't see the "Post New Thread" button?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store