Should I be concerned?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geneticbits

AC Members
Aug 3, 2013
Meet Bruce, my Rainbow Shark.
IMAG0082.jpg

He's one of my favorite fish. Today I noticed a white-ish spot on him that was too big for ich, but it definitely stood out on his black body. So I netted him and put him in the little container you see above.

Here is a close up of the spot:
IMAG0083.jpg

To me, it looks like he's missing a scale or two. The other fish in the tank (29 gal) seem fine. They include:
  • 2 gold rams (new in the past month)
  • 4 glo tetras (2 new in the past 2 months)
  • 7 zebra danios (5 new in the past 2 months)
  • 2 oto cats

For the most part, Bruce hangs out in his cave (he claimed it when he first got into the tank 2 years ago). The other fish don't seem to be nippy, but I guess that's always a possibility. Should I be concerned? Should I add meds or just keep an eye on it?

IMAG0082.jpg IMAG0083.jpg

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Pretty certain that the tanks too small for him. What sort of hardscape is in the tank? Are there any rough edged items (i.e. sharp or porous stones)? It looks like scale damage from an abrasive surface it might have swam against.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Pretty certain that the tanks too small for him. What sort of hardscape is in the tank? Are there any rough edged items (i.e. sharp or porous stones)? It looks like scale damage from an abrasive surface it might have swam against.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Agree - it looks like abrasion damage - don't worry it should heal up within a few days.

geneticbits

AC Members
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks. I was kinda thinking he might have just rubbed up against his cave. He fit nicely in it when he was new. Now he's a lot bigger and I think he's too big for it. I bought a new hollow log decoration that would be a good size, but he insists on staying in his cave instead.

The substrate is gravel. I was actually planning on switching to black diamond this weekend -I bought some last weekend but was too busy to rinse and replace. And I'm having ich issues in my 55 gal so I don't want to switch him over there yet.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store