Gouramis fighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Filter

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Visit site
Hey. I have a bit of a problem. My 10 gallon tank has:

1 flying fox
2 platies
1 gold gourami
2 powder blue gouramis
13 neon tetras

My 2 powder blue gourami's were fine up until recently, but now both are SUPER agressive. They each hang out on a different side of the tank and if anyone comes close, they chase them away. If they se eachother, they actually fight. The one fish has damaged his feelers in a fight. What's going on? Thanks

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Hi!:) Welcome to the tank!

Firstly, your tank is overstocked. GOld gouramis will reach about 4-6" in length. The blue gouramis will be about 2.5" each. The flying fox will be about 4". Plus the platies and the neons. You may want to think about getting another tank for your fish. IMO, a 29g is much more suitable for the amount of fish you have.

As for your question, they are fighting because they are almost surely both males (females aren't commonly sold because they are silver and "dull", so they say). Gouramis are quite territorial, even the dwarf varieties, esp. the males. You can succesfully keep two male dwarf gouramis together sometimes but it depends on the fish's personality. They're much like bettas. Some are aggressive, some aren't. Also, if you are to keep them successfully (which it sounds like you may not) you would need a lot of space for each gourami that they can call their own - with a a lot of plants.

I would either take one of the gouramis back or get a new tank for one (this could also lighten the fish load in your current tank) to separate them. I'm also surprised the gold gourami hasn't layed into one or both of them yet.

How long have you had the tank setup? Do you know what your water parameters are?

Probably not what you wanted to hear...

Filter

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The gold one is such a nice fish. Really nice personality. Plays with everyone. I really like him.

The one Powder Blue gourami is a plain jerk. Chases everyone and even looks angry when I come to look at him. Just sits puffed up like a fighter fish and "spits" for lack of a better word. You're right and I donna wanna admit it, but I'd be alot better off without him. Maybe he'll have to find a home in my friend's tank.

The other Powder Blue gourami seems motivated to be a jerk due to the other one. Alone I think he'll be ok. Just too bad he's the one with the damaged feelers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store