What's wrong with my giant betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquariumferret

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2013
A six days ago I moved into a new house and had to move my little guy with me. I imagine the move was pretty stressful on him. I noticed him acting lethargic a few days ago and it seems like he has to force himself to swim. Last night when he wouldn't eat his food I noticed that the right side of his face is swollen and the scales are raised up. It looks like a red zit of sorts with a white thing under the sore. He also has something right behind the sore a little farther back on his head that's white and looks like a hangnail type thing, I have no idea what it could be or what caused this. Could it be a sort of bacterial infection or something? Looking for advice, I really don't want to lose him. Hopefully you can get a better idea from the picture even though it's poor quality.

20130913_121336.jpg

Aquariumferret

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2013
I moved him in an insulated bait container. I filled a bag with his aquarium water and put him in that and put it in the container. He was in there for about an hour and a half. I acclimated him very slowly when I put him back in the tank too. I haven't got the equipment to test the parameters.

petspoiler

AC Members
Dec 20, 2011
The photo is not close-up enough on the effected area to see details. I can see a white thing, but not swelling or redness.
Things to consider for evaluation:
The stress of moving can lower their immune system toward any past or new exposure to parasites and disease. Significant change in ph is stress, as well as ammonia build up during transport.
Was the bait container new, or had it previously contained bait? Used bag can transmit parasites & disease, bacteria etc.

I'm suspicious the "white thing" could be parasitic, that could cause the localized swelling & redness.
It's possible the fish was exposed to something before transport, and it's immune system was controlling things, but added stress made him more susceptible. OR the timing can be coincidental & he was going to get sick anyway.

Personally, I'd be curious enough to grab a good magnifying glass & net the fish to look at that red swollen bump & white thing. you may be able to see if the white thing is a parasite.
Can't advise you on a sure treatment. PM the diseases mod in forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store