All kinds of questions! Fish, water, suggestions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LuckyJGuy

Mah Fizzzi are off the Hizzi
Mar 17, 2004
New Mexico
Visit site
Hey all, hope you can give me some suggestions/help/advice on what to do...

1)I know its Wal-Mart, but Im still going to ask, has anyone here bought fish from Wal Mart that were healthy and stayed healthy?

2)Will a skunk loach school with my clown loaches?

3)Does Rid Ick or malachite green have any additive that acts like a caffeine/sugar? After adding some rid ick to my tank last night the male clown loach became really active(more active than he has ever been). Or could it be the new decoration I put in and rearrangement?

4)Stocking question, I have a 20 gal and I calculated I can have 24 inches of fish, heres what I was thinking

3-4 Loach(I already have 2 clown, was wondering if 2 skunk would school with them)

1 Syn Eupterus (I actually need some more info on this guy)

1 Albino Rainbow/Rainbow shark
OR
1 True Flying Fox

3-4 Dwarf Puffers (I already know the risk with these guys but Im going to try a moderately planted tank, plus I already have rocks and decorations with 5 caves for hiding that I plan to surround with plants).

5)How quickly do snails mulitply? Ive had 6 in my tank for about three weeks and from what I gathered from reading on this site was that they would multiply rather quickly?

Sorry for all the questions, I've done most of the reasearch on all the topics but I want to hear from those with experience! Thanks

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Well, on your first question I have never been in a Wal Mart that I could say the fish looked healthy enough to buy in the first place.

As for your third question if I'm thinking right loaches are sensitive to medications in general and he might have been reacting to some stress.

I'm leaving your other questions alone for others who have a bit more knowledge of the fish you have.

angelmist83

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Lufkin, Texas
Visit site
Hi,

I have bought several fish from Wal-Mart that were healthy, good fish. Some Wal-Marts have better pet departments than others. I bought my 2 pictus cats there about a year ago and they were quite healthy and active. You just have to be careful and really look at them, because most fish there are sickly, underfed and have been exposed to lots of stress and diseases.

Also I am pretty sure a 20G is too small for Clown Loaches. I definitley would not add any more than the two you already have.

LGooley

AC Members
Mar 29, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Hi,
From what I have heard Clown Loaches can get really really big.

Walmart...Everytime I look at the fish there I feel like I am looking at fish sentenced to death.

Snails...are naughty little multipliers. I started with 1 and now everytime I do a water change I gravel vaccuum up at least 30.

Thanks,
Letty

angelmist83

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Lufkin, Texas
Visit site
LuckyJ-
I looked for the specs on the clown loach, and they do grow quite large...can get to over a foot long and require at least a 55 gallon aquarium.....so on second thought you might wanna trade those clowns for something that won't get quite as big unless you're going to get a bigger tank :) Good luck with your fishies though!

LuckyJGuy

Mah Fizzzi are off the Hizzi
Mar 17, 2004
New Mexico
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far!

Angel- I know about the clown loaches and Im getting a much bigger tank around august or even earlier, they are only about 3 inches right now. Prob a 40-55 gal.

The fish I saw looked not bad, possibly even better than at the last Petsmart I went to.

fishlvr

still doesn't have a clue...
Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
The best fish I've ever had I bought from a Wal-mart, a black convict. He lived for many years alone in a 20gal. It wasn't until we moved and I added him to my 55gal that he started having problems and died, but not before spawning with a cute little convict first ;).

I could go on and on about that fish, so I better stop now.

Just watch the fish for awhile, pick out a good one :D.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store