My Fiance screwed over a tiger cichlid!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
Our son won 2 goldfish from a local fair and for some reason within 2 days the fish were dead? she went out and let the kids pick which fish they wanted and they chose a tiger cichlid...SMH!!! its in a 10 gallon tank and i know from just 1 week of dirty water that its tooooooo small for him and he seems depressed compared to the tigers at the LFS...so if anyone is interested in adopting him/her for free then id be willing to pay half of shipping and other costs just to see him go to a better home!! thanks and please let me know if there is anything i can do!!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
do 50% water changes daily until you find him a new home.

the goldfish would of out grown that 10g as well.

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
that was my next question was how to take care of him until he finds a new home...i just changed 100% of his water and he seemed more stressed than just having a dirty tank...so please explain how to keep it under as little stress as possible while changing water... my rookie equipment is

siphon gravel vacuum.. a net ..2 different scrubbers for tank walls..stress coat and a fish bowl... help please..i feel really bad for him or her!!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
was the tank cycled before you put him in?

...you could take him back to the store they got him from.

i would not do 100% change just do 50% but every day.

Is it a Tiger Oscar? ..

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I would look into cycling aquariums. There is a nice sticky in the freshwater newbie section that gives some good info.

You're likely going to need a good liquid reagent test kit and a water conditioner/dechlorinator such as seachem prime.

Your goal is to keep him in the tank with as little ammonia as possible. Changing water helps to remove ammonia from the tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
i dont think its an oscar... and i went today to return him but they have a 14 day return policy :( so no go...i can do a 50 % change daily..do i need to get him out of the tank to do so or just remove 50% and add while he is still there???

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
i dont think its an oscar... and i went today to return him but they have a 14 day return policy :( so no go...i can do a 50 % change daily..do i need to get him out of the tank to do so or just remove 50% and add while he is still there???
He can be in there. That's not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
awesome...im going to look into "cycling" so im guessing i didnt...poor guy...in this case ignorance is not bliss :(

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State

mr.cooper13

Wet Behind The Ears
Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
just did..and funny cuz i just checked the 2 day old 5g glo fish tank and its cloudy...i know to test for ammonia..nitrites and nitrates but im still not too sure what to do when one is out of whack??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store