How much is over filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
I have 2 55/75 quiet flow hanging filters and I was thinking about getting a canister filter this time to filter with the other two. Would that be okay to do

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There really isn't such a thing as overfiltration. You can create too much flow for some species, but as I recall you have oscars, that shouldn't be a huge problem with those three filters running.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
There really isn't such a thing as overfiltration. You can create too much flow for some species, but as I recall you have oscars, that shouldn't be a huge problem with those three filters running.
An R/O or distillation system would be too much filtration. Adding more aquarium filters is just spreading the work load.

I like to think of the term "overfiltration" as a great thing that means "more than necessary" as opposed to "too much" because of what OG said. if you do have too much flow, it's not because of too much filtration. It's because you're moving too much water. There are always ways to make tank filtration more efficient to without turning your tank into a whirlpool.

Last edited:

MostlyHarmless

AC Members
Jul 17, 2013
At some point, you will be better served switching over to a sump. If you are running 2 HOBs already, a cannister would do little more than polish what is there. If you have Os, maybe switching to sump would be a better option could probably take a HOB off that system too. Just an idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store