Alligator gar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
I have a 125 gallon tank. I just got rid of all my fish and have the money for an alligator gar. I have two quiet flows 55/75 filters I'm about to get a can aster filter from a buddy of mine. It's a planted aquarium, some would say it's a little planted. A couple hiding spots. But I have a 8 in oscar and I wanna get a alligator gar and was wondering if I could put him in my tank and what size I should look into cause of the size of my oscar

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
In my opinion, you can't humanely house a fish of that size in most home aquariums. Especially not in your current tank. If the gar survived to get big enough, it'd eat your oscar.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I do NOT recommend an alligator gar in any normal home aquarium. They can get HUGE. I've personally seen them in excess of four feet in length. That size of fish requires a tank so large most homes couldn't even fit the tank.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
That alligator gar will get larger than your actual tank lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Good on ya for doing the research. They get....huge.

:thumbsup:

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Unfortunately alligator gars get huge and are amazing :/ you could look into a hujeta gar. Stay much smaller but still a species of gar. Im not suggesting it but there are gar species that stay smaller than alligator gars and MIGHT( not definate) be able to be accomidated in a 120gal.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
+1 on the spotted gar suggestion. They only get 2-3 feet. I had one of those that I kept in an indoor pond made from a 600 gallon Rubbermaid ranch water trough. I kept it with cichlids and it never ate anything bigger than the constantly spawning convict fry and feeder fish. Those tubs cost less new than a 125 costs new if you have the room for it.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
As far as I know true gars are illegal to own in most (if not all) states. Every once and a while one shows up in a pet store

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store