Making my Own Uniquely Shaped Acrylic Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
So I have come up with a simple but unique design for an tropical planted tank. It will be constructed out of acrylic sheets. Its a first for me to make my own tank but I feel confidant. I just want to run the design by others in the hobby and ask a few more questions. First off here is a very crude example of the design:
Aquarium Idea.jpg
Its basically like two aquariums connected by a narrow link. It will be interesting to see which fish (or invertebrates) prefer which side if I provide different conditions. Also the narrow link or bridge, if you will, forces them to swim horizontally displaying their sides; which i think would look nice with a back drop of taller slender plants. So here are some questions:

• Is there a acrylic thickness to gallons chart to help me select the optimal thickness of acrylic ?

• Will I need any edging on the top and bottom for structural strength ?

• What types of fish should I stock it with that would be interesting in this design ? (I even thought of stocking two male bettas because they would have their own territory. I probably will not but its an idea. Maybe a schooling type?)

• I am thinking of doing a carpet on the bridge part with taller slender plants along the back. Any recommendations for plants like that?

The dimensions of this design are completely undecided as of this moment. However I am leaning towards smaller rather than larger even though this will be pretty long. Here are some dimensions I was thinking of:

Side Compartment (x2)
L= 15 inches
W= 12
H= 16
V= 5760 in ^3 = 24 Gallons
Middle
L= 16
W= 4 (maybe 5)
H= 16
V= 1024 in^3 = 4 Gallons
Overall
V= 6784 in ^3 = 29 Gallons

Aquarium Idea DIY dis.jpg
Feel free to make a suggestion to change some of the dimensions, but I don't want to go over 30 gallons. I am totally leaning more towards the rectangle one. I also want to make the two corners on the inside of the "C" (the corners by the bridge seamless), I think that will be cool. I don't want to go crazy and try the whole front seamless unless it will be relatively easy to do but I don't think it will be. Below is an other crude example:
Aquarium Idea DIY.jpg

Let me know what you all think, don't forget to answer the questions I asked earlier.

Thanks !​

Aquarium Idea.jpg Aquarium Idea DIY dis.jpg Aquarium Idea DIY.jpg

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
Check out some of Joey's videos on You Tube. Have you considered making a small one just to gain some experience
No, I wanted to make a smaller one because I have not yet settled down. So if I need to pack up and move to a new place, I don't have a 90 gallon aquarium to worry about. And smaller ones are less work ;p

Oh where u suggesting for me to make an even smaller one than the 29 gallon i am thinking of building ???

HrdWodFlor

Tiger Dog is on the lookout!
Oct 7, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
Working with acrylic is fun but a challenge to get it to look good. There are tons of YouTube videos that talk about it. Make sure you pratice on some scrap before you work on your tank, the stuffs not cheap. One place to check is Lowes, sometime I can convince them to sell me small scrap that they have lying around from where a previous customer had it cut. Like Rbishop said, practice. But it looks like a fun design, will look for pics in the future. Good luck!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO--With that narrow section in the middle, the tank can easily twist when moving and setting up. So it may leak later.

And the "Link" section is 4X16, narrow and long, not many fishes may try and travel through it. Fish are not humans, they are not curious.

This is almost like two 15gal tanks with a tube connecting the tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store