Help me with my hardscape

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'm having a particularly hard time settling on some hardscape positioning for this tank. Tank is a 20L, low light, low tech, which is going to be set up specifically for shrimp breeding purposes. I'm just gonna throw some pictures up and I'm looking for any and all recommendations. Wood and rock, both pieces of wood, one piece of wood, whatever you think would look good. I do particularly like the rock and would like to incorporate it somehow but I am torn.

hardscape3.JPG
hardscape4.JPG
hardscape5.JPG
hardscape6.JPG
hardscape7.JPG
rock.JPG

hardscape3.JPG hardscape4.JPG hardscape5.JPG hardscape6.JPG hardscape7.JPG rock.JPG

EdaxFlamma

Plant Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009
Delaware
One thing that eluded me when I was putting together hardscape pieces originally is stacking/leaning pieces together. In a planted aquarium often times your hardscape gets covered. Additionally, you can hide bits of unattractive hardscape with your planting. Just a few thoughts to consider.

If it were me, I'd like to see the longer piece leaned against the other one to have one big focal point just to see what it looked like or add all three and have the long piece leaning against the rock after turning it on the rock on its side. That rock has a bit more character than your everyday rock. I'd be afraid it would overpower the wood in that configuration.

Just my $0.02. Pick what you like best!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I always use wood in my scapes, I wouldn't have a problem with the rock overshadowing a touch this time. Everything is likely to end up with ferns, anubias, or moss attached to it anyways.

hs1.JPG
hs2.JPG

hs1.JPG hs2.JPG

EdaxFlamma

Plant Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009
Delaware
Again, one person's opinion, I like the left hand orientation, I'd place it just a bit further back and to the left. I would then lay the long piece down as you have it in front of the stone maybe with the U shaped portion around the stone and plant the wood on either side framing the stone.

You've got some good pieces there. I leave it in your capable hands!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I always use wood in my scapes, I wouldn't have a problem with the rock overshadowing a touch this time. Everything is likely to end up with ferns, anubias, or moss attached to it anyways.

View attachment 209291
:thm:

Looks like Josh and I agree. I'm kinda surprised, since aesthetics are so subjective.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store