Honey Gourami Breeding HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Recently cycled my 39 gallon and in the stocking process I ended up picking a pair of gouramies which would go well with the other species.
I was going to post info on more than just the gouramies in General FW but when I tried posting it there was an error :/
Anyway, because it is the most pressing, how do I go about breeding Honey Gouramies?
I introduced them to the tank only two weeks ago, and already they are exhibiting interesting behaviors.
I have a pair and they are showing nice colors-the male especially. The female is getting nice and plump and the male dances for her frequently.
However, he seems to be having trouble building his bubble nest. I use an external filter with an alterable current, but I have a suspicion that my current setting destroys the bubbles-even with minimal surface disturbance.
He has succeeded in making a little cluster behind the cover of some floating hornwort, but it's diminishing and he is only adding to it from time to time. So I want to know what I should do? I could potentially set up a small internal filter below the surface and stop using the external filter for awhile, but I don't know how well that would work. Also, if they do breed, can I separate the male from his nest and place it into a net cage in the tank? Will he become aggressive or desperate if I do so? Will the nest fall apart without his maintenance? I just want the best for my fish, and since I have absolutely no experience in breeding these guys I would like some helpful advice ^^

My other species in the tank are (M/F): 2/3 Wrestling Halfbeaks, 2/2 Peacock Gudgeons, 3/3 Endler's Livebearers, 1/1 Ancistrus sp., 3 Yellow Tylomelania Snails

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Would it be possible to use a DIY tank divider to isolate a section of the tank for the male to build his nest in? Then introduce the female from time to time until they breed-of course removing her if the male gets aggressive. Then after they breed keep the male in the isolated section with the nest? If this is possible, how big a section of a tank would be ideal? Remember it's a 39 gallon so I think maybe 6-7 inches from the side panel on one side?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If you want to breed your gouramis, then I suggest setting up a separate tank for breeding purposes only. You won't find much success in attempting to do so in a community tank.
:thm:

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
Update: the male built a very flimsy bubble nest but somehow got the female to spawn (I have pics). He continues to improve on it, though, giving me some hope that I could transfer it... now I must know-if I have a 2-gallon tank would that be adequate for the male and his nest? Or how would I go about doing things? Should I remove the nest and turn the filter back on, and wait until next time they spawn? Should I keep everything as it is, or is there another option I haven't considered?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store