100% Chlorine and Chloramine filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
So ive been thinking about setting up a drip system on my tanks to eliminate the need for so many wc's. Ive got it all planned out, but theres a problem...I cant find a filter that gets rid of all of the Chlorine and Chloramine. Most of them will only filter out 95-97% of it and that's just not enough considering my city water has high levels of Chloramine. Im looking for a smaller "drinking water" style system and not something for the whole house. This way its cheaper and the filters should last a little longer. I would like to do a RO unit but I just don't have the money for it at this time.

Anybody have any ideas or helpful links. Ive done some searching and haven't found anything concrete and Google only wants to give me ads and links to places to buy filters instead of any real information. Thanks in advance.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Yea ive had that thread bookmarked for years. Its definitely a neat idea but its a little on the expensive side. And to be honest id rather do it with mechanical filtration if at all possible. Ill definitely look into that kind of setup if what I had in mind doesn't work out though. Thanks for the help my friend.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Mechanical will not work with chloramine.....

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Most drinking water filters use carbon to remove 95-97% of the chloramine. Maybe I should use one of those and then some sort of system to add highly diluted prime to take care of the 3% that the carbon doesn't take care of? The system that Neoprodigy uses is awesome but it still costs a ton to set up and run. Youre looking at several hundred dollars just in prime so if I could cut that down using carbon filters then it would be feasible.

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
You only need to worry about removing chlorine when doing water changes, because of the volume being introduced all at once. With a drip WC system, the chlorine will out gas and not be an issue. Chlorine doesn't last very long in moving water. Even less in aerated water.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yes for chlorine it will prob gas off.. but chloramine is more stable and as a result will stay in the water longer.

since it is a combination of chlorine and ammonia it is still toxic and will need to be dealt with.

there are filters for chloramine see filter guys web site they may have what you are looking for or at least it's a good starting point.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Glenn knows. Besides, removing 95%-97% is plenty. If you do a 25% water change, and remove 95% of your chemicals, the remaining 5% is reduced 4 times because of the other 75% of the water left in the tank. You are left with 1%-2% which will not be a problem for any fish. If you do a drip change over the course of a full week you will have a fraction of that in your water at any given moment.

If you are very worried about it you can find out from the water company exactly how many ppm of what they treat their water with. Find the equation for how quickly it gasses off. Do the math to find out if the way you are adding it is faster or slower than the gas off and know your fish are safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store