Manipulating or training plant growth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I have a radicand sword (a big plant!) and would like to train it to grow in a specific way. For the first few months I just let it grow on its own and has done well. Two things I've learned: 1. New leaves sprout and the stem grow/elongate until it reaches the top of the water and then the leaf enlarges to full size. The leaves don't stick out of the water but it's there at the surface. 2. If the developing leaf touches anything on its trek to the surface, that part of the leaf will be bent/curled permanently.

Basically most of the new leaves ends up at the top and bent/curled in a not so pretty way.
So I've been experimenting with training this plant. When I see the new leaf emerge, I reposition the stems close to it so that the new leaf doesn't tough it. I have to keep an eye on it constantly though.

Anyone know an easier way to accomplish this?

Secondly, I want leaves a few inches below the surface. I noticed that I can stop the vertical growth if the new leaf is constantly touched close to the where the stem/leaf juncture. Now I think I have couple of methods to manipulate how this plant grows.

My final goal is to find a way to twist/rotate the new leaf so that it points in a certain direction. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store