Glolight Tetra Breeding Plan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I have a plan that I'm not sure if it will work or not, but I would like to try and get glolight tetra to breed "naturally" without moving them around into breeder tanks and without all the lights and magic I always read about. When I was a kid, my uncle had neon tetras that bred all by themselves in his tank. It was pretty cool! He didn't do anything special, they just decided to breed!

So I've read that tetra like to cast their eggs into fine leaved stem plants like rotala vietnam and cabomba, so my plan is simple... plant a bunch of these kinds of plants and throw the tetra in there (a dozen), and let them do their thing. In addition to the plants, I will give them a live meal of brine shrimp to get them in the mood (which may have been the unsuspected magic potion in my uncle's case), and I will rain in some cold water to top off the tank.

Any thoughts out there on my plan? I like the natural approach to things; so no plans that require chemicals or voodoo please. Thanks!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You're probably going to get a lot of failure. For many (if not all, I've only looked into neon, cardinal, glow light, rummynose, and orange von rio) of the tetra species in the hobby, there is a very low success rate of home breeding because the eggs are *very* photosensitive. A little light goes a long way to killing the eggs. You'll need to commit to blacking out the tank. Maybe create some kinda of rack to hold a screen up off of the bottom of the tank so the eggs can filter through, yet hopefully the fry will stay below that level and not become snacks for the adults.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Authmal,

I already was thinking about the screen idea. The tank I was thinking of using is a very tall tank, so I could mesh it even halfway up and everyone would still have plenty of room to move around. I suppose I could mask off the bottom temporarily with a black cloth or something to limit the light that would sneak in for a few days while the eggs hatch. Before I do anything, I will just makes plenty of hiding places for the fry. I had already planned on that anyway. Thank you for the thought-provoking comments... I'm going to think on this some more before committing to any official plan for sure!

Cheers!
Dave

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Also keep in mind that tetras are voracious predators and will prey on their own fry. Getting the fish to spawn may not be the problem. The big issue is getting the fry to survive.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I suppose I could mask off the bottom temporarily with a black cloth or something to limit the light that would sneak in for a few days while the eggs hatch.
Dave
I think you misunderstand. It's not about limiting light. It's completely excluding light.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
10-4... I've never done this before as you can see, so I appreciate the advice :) Thank you again!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I thought about trying it myself, but the light restrictions would be very difficult for me to abide by.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store