Let's Talk Aqueon HOBs...and Replacing/Reusing Their Cartridge Media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
With two HOB's running on my 60 gallon -- an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and an AquaClear (Hagen) 110 -- I have in excess of 800 gallons per hour being turned over (rated) in this goldfish setup. While I am totally comfortable with the maintenance of the AquaClear's media -- that is, I never throw any of the pieces such as the BioMax or sponge away until they're literally falling to pieces, instead dunking them in removed tank water from time to time -- I am concerned about what to do regarding the other filter's media because there seems to be a ton of conflicting information out there about this. Specifically, I am referring to the Aqueon's dual "floss carbon" cartridges it takes, which look this this:

And fit inside this filter:

Now, I have heard and read about ALL the arguments made by modern hobbyists regarding the current use of carbon and how it's really a "throwback" way of thinking and filtering from yesteryear and how it's completely unnecessary to use save for the removal of random odors in the tank or perhaps medication treatments -- however, I am still running these cartridges in this filter and would like to get the correct lowdown about exhausted carbon and whether or not it's okay to keep reusing these as media or if they MUST be replaced...

For the most part, I have been "dunking" these Aqueon cartridges in removed tank water every so often, as I do with the AquaClear's sponge, getting off heavy solids that may have stuck to the carbon floss pad out of fear that if I change them completely I will lose the bacteria colonies settling on them (the cartridges drop into what Aqueon calls "bio holsters" which equate to little more than blue plastic "cages" that hold the cartridges in place and which the company claims is what serves as the breeding ground for the bacteria, as well as the "patented" wet/dry bio "grid" bar that sits at the edge of the waterfall return lip). Aqueon further claims that their cartridges can be replaced regularly BECAUSE those "bio holsters" are in place to house the bacteria, and if those are left alone there's no worry about a mini-cycle. As I said, for the most part, I have been just rinsing the cartridges -- with the somewhat exhausted carbon -- in removed tank water from time to time, swapping out the cartridges when I feel they have gotten really nasty (I maybe changed the cartridges twice since the tank is up and running).

Here's my question: Depending on which site you land on, you'll get wildly varying stories about exhausted carbon and whether it leeches bad toxins back into a tank or not...what is the truth here? Do I have to worry about exhausted carbon leeching something back into the tank? Can I simply dunk and rinse these Aqueon cartridges in removed tank water like the AquaClear media, until they're pretty much falling apart? Or should these cartridges be replaced routinely? Because my QuietFlow 55 model takes two carbon cartridges, I can stagger the maintenance -- that is, I can change one while leaving the other running until it "seeds" -- but what's the best way to run these Aqueons that take cartridge media? Will exhausted carbon toxify my tank...or is this simply a circulated rumor?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I have a few of those filters, I clean them of in direct tap water. I never replace them until they fall apart...and even then I throw it away and fill the filter with 100% polly fill from the fabric store ( the nifty little blue thing makes a good holder) and keep going.

I stopped using carbon years ago and only do it when I get new filters that come with the cartridges.

Been doing this for years in many tanks, breeding many fish with no harm. Dead carbon just adds some bio media to the filter, though there are arguments about how much.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Hello Kaosu, and thank you very much for your timely response...

I have a few of those filters, I clean them of in direct tap water. I never replace them until they fall apart...and even then I throw it away and fill the filter with 100% polly fill from the fabric store ( the nifty little blue thing makes a good holder) and keep going.
When you say you clean "them" in direct tap water -- do you mean those carbon cartridges? Because you mentioned you then fill the compartment with the polyfill; are you saying you just keep rinsing the cartridges off and reuse them? I also wonder why you rinse these in tap water -- aren't you afraid of killing beneficial bacteria? Or are you comfortable knowing the blue bio-holsters are holding most of it?

I stopped using carbon years ago and only do it when I get new filters that come with the cartridges.
Oh -- perhaps this answered my question above...

Indeed, as I mentioned in the original post, I realize most serious hobbyists stopped using this (carbon) as a medium; I use it only because they come "stock" as stuffed by Aqueon in these carts...

Been doing this for years in many tanks, breeding many fish with no harm. Dead carbon just adds some bio media to the filter, though there are arguments about how much.
So are you saying there are no worries about dead/exhausted carbon releasing anything toxic back into the tank? It just makes for more bio filtration area?

As a side note, just tonight I did a 50% water change on my tank and took out the Aqueon cartridges from the filter -- they didn't look too too bad in terms of discoloration, but when I dunked them in removed tank water...WOW. The bucket water turned nasty and cloudy brown -- apparently there was a ton of crud on the pads that I just didn't see. I rinsed them off and returned them to the filter...

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

I agree with everything here. I have an old penguin, but I'd prefer an aquaclear because the sponge lasts longer than flimsy cartridge mesh.

I also rinse physical filtration media in tap because it gets the thick ac sponges much cleaner much faster. Modern filters have designated bio media that, along with everything else in the tank, has plenty of bacteria to spare.

I haven't seen any negative results from uber old carbon, but it's not as beneficial as something engineered to be physical or bio filter media.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Hello Kaosu, and thank you very much for your timely response...

When you say you clean "them" in direct tap water -- do you mean those carbon cartridges? Because you mentioned you then fill the compartment with the polyfill; are you saying you just keep rinsing the cartridges off and reuse them? I also wonder why you rinse these in tap water -- aren't you afraid of killing beneficial bacteria? Or are you comfortable knowing the blue bio-holsters are holding most of it?

I just run tap water and rub them with my hand until it is as clean as I can get it...no worried about losing all the BBA...i do this with all my filter media and I have never seen a change in any of my water tests.

I use the cartrage that comes with it until it falls apart..or until I get fed up with cleaning it and replacing it with polly fill...dont feel the need to waste the cartridge even if its not the best.

MostlyHarmless

AC Members
Jul 17, 2013
I have the same filter, I bought some of the blue filter sheets, cut them down to size and use them. I have been loving the Aqueon filters, they move a ton of water, they start automatically. They have a the little aeration cascade thing. Have been using them for a few years. I have only needed to take them apart and fully clean the impeller once a year or so.

I have 3 of the filters on diffent tanks, and as the inserts that came with the filter fall apart, I have replaced with the blue/white floss. $7 for 5-6 filter spots, and i still have half a sheet left. To clean just squeeze out, or run under tap. Does a great job.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Thanks Everyone, for Your Input!

I, too, like MostlyHarmless, like the way the Aqueons move water and start automatically -- my QuietFlow 55 model, when the water level of the tank is at a certain height, throws off this thick, "rippled current" that really moves water across the surface; and I too like the "bio grid bar" that adds extra polishing and aeration...

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
So can I assume the exhausted carbon in these cartridges the Aqueon QuietFlow series takes won't leak anything toxic back into the tank and will merely act as more surface area for bacteria to colonize on (even though I understand, as Glabe pointed out, that this isn't an "ideal" place for bacteria to seed as compared to ceramic bio material that's made for this purpose)?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
So can I assume the exhausted carbon in these cartridges the Aqueon QuietFlow series takes won't leak anything toxic back into the tank and will merely act as more surface area for bacteria to colonize on (even though I understand, as Glabe pointed out, that this isn't an "ideal" place for bacteria to seed as compared to ceramic bio material that's made for this purpose)?

yes...its safe, I have never seen any evidence of anything leaking back in to the tank.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
yes...its safe, I have never seen any evidence of anything leaking back in to the tank.
As always, thank you Kaosu...:)

I've read conflicting arguments about this phenomenon, in which some hobbyists claim anything the carbon takes in and removes from the water -- i.e. bad stuff -- it will definitely eventually leak back in when the exhaustion goes too far...that's why I was asking you guys in here with such conviction; I just feared for the health of my fish.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store