100 gallon 5' tank up and running.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Finally got my canister and lighting in. Put an established AC110 on it, and bammo! Looks pretty good if I do say so myself. I've got two stalks of bamboo in there now and I intend to add more plants. Are there any plants that are native to lake Malawi that I can get for this tank? Hopefully my fish won't chew them up.. I have crabros in it.
uploadfromtaptalk1379958574229.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379958574229.jpg

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The tank looks fantastic, but you'll want to remove the bamboo. It will rot away if left fully submerged.

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Well dang, that's annoying. My wife loves the bamboo. Any suggestions for plants in a mbuna tank besides java fern and anubias? I may wind up putting an overflow to the 20L sitting beside it and put the plants in the smaller tank... I'm open to suggestions.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Tank looks great! Only plant I know for sure grows in the lakes is a val species, not available to us so just use a common one. Put rocks all around the base to protect the roots though.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
These guys are Mbuna and will more than likely shred the tender types of plants usually the Anubias and Java are a bitter tougher plant and is what most pros will recommend. Your call i have kept several types of Anubias in a Mbuna setup I am sure it will look good if you add a lot of Anubias..

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Thanks guys, after talking with my wife, I'm considering using a 20L that is sitting next to it as a refugium type tank that shares water via an overflow, but is strictly a planted tank with snails or a betta.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store