Anyone tried the SunSun HW-603?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EdaxFlamma

Plant Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009
Delaware
Good afternoon all,

I've been looking into a canister filter for quite some time now and one of the ones that has caught my eye is the SunSun HW-603. Unfortunately, I have been finding some mixed information on how this particular model or set of models works. Some models show the flow going from top to bottom (usually accompanied by a larger side pump, see Amazon), others show bottom to top (small side pump, see Ebay), and still others show that the pump can be moved to accommodate either. Even the directions that come with the unit show two different things depending on where you find it.

Long story short, I'd like to set the record straight. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this model and if so, could you let me know how this thing actually works?

Thanks!
-J.P.

EdaxFlamma

Plant Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009
Delaware
Update:

After doing a bit more digging I found out why I was seeing a difference in the products. There are 2 variations of the model HW-603B. One of which has the pump attached to the bottom of the canister. This pumps water from the canister into the tank and thereby pulling water into the top of the canister via suction. The other variant of this model has a submersible pump that is connected to the filter inflow. This pumps water into the bottom of the canister, forces it through the filter media and then out the top of the unit. Hopefully this isn't a waste of space and someone else finds this useful as well! Thanks again.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That kinda makes sense. It would make more sense if the model names were different.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
There's a guy on CL selling a new one for $22. Is this a good deal for it?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe see what Google Shopper has to say? I'm not familiar with pricing for that particular product.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Ok, $20 sounds like a great deal. Gonna use this tiny canister as a biological filter for my new 12G QT tank. I like the fact that the H2O flows top down. This will be much easier to clean the thin prefilter pad that I'll place on top of the ceramic bits. The dinky HOB that I got with this tank should be ok for mechanical filter. Probably overkill since there will only be plants in this tank most of the time!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well that was the scariest thing I've done in a long time. 10pm pickup of items from CL on near SW side of Chicago. Just bunch of old and some abandoned warehouses around. Let by text to a warehouse with bunch of small outfits in it. Asian dude selling bunch of SunSun stuff brand new.

IMAG0954.jpg

The 603B filter and 3 lbs of ceramic rings for $28. Not bad!

IMAG0954.jpg

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Wow, this tank looks totally different today. It's my shrimp tank now. I use this canister strictly as a biological filter. I have a prefilter sponge on the intake which I clean every few weeks or when the water flow is visibly reduced. I use the tiny Aqueon 10 that I got with the tank on CL as my mechanical filter. As for the Sunsun, I like it. it's quiet and have had no problems with it so far. I haven't opened/cleaned it since September. My params are good so I guess I really don't need to clean it yet. Maybe at the 1 yr mark, I'll "clean" it. I haven't "cleaned" by biological media in my other canister for my main tank since May and params are good too. So If the SunSun runs for a year without needing any cleaning, that would be great too.

This is the tank today.

IMAG1145-1.jpg

IMAG1145-1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store