Newbie Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2013
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Hello everyone! I recently redid my fluval chi tank, and I wanted to post my progress. I pretty much want someone to dot my I's and cross my T's, as well as giving give me a push into the right direction as far as maintaining my planted tank.[/FONT][FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI] Like I said, I had to redo my tank. That was due to an outbreak of mystery white clear slime. I wasn't sure what it was, and it was all in my fluval filter, so I broke my tank down and gave it a good scrub. I decided that now was probably a good idea to upgrade my filter for better water movement. I originally Picked up a hob, but it was tossing my poor betta around. The next smallest filter was an internal which I ended up getting. It has a nice spray bar, and moves the water enough without dragging poor Harvey into a whirlpool. While I was at petsmart, i saw a lot of wilted-ish plants. I've been reading a lot, and I remember hearing that you could toss them in a tank without cycling, but they would hinder the cycling process. Seeing as bettas are pretty hardy fish, and I heard small tanks don't cycle anyway, I decided to pick up all 10 plants for .50-1.00 each. I also picked up a bag if caribsea floramax substrate, and some seachem flourish tabs. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI] The next day, I decided it was looking a little plain, so I climbed into the wash behind my house, and picked up some pieces of driftwood. I boiled them for a good 3 hours and soaked it overnight. The next day I threw it in. It wouldn't stay down all the way, and I'll the rocks I found failed the vinegar test, so it was back to the pet store. While I was there, my girlfriend convinced me to get a bamboo shrimp. I got him acclimated by floating the bag (I'll come back to this), and all was well until the next Morbing.. I found him dead on the bottom. I immediately took him out, and did a 70% wc because i remember reading somewhere that the key to fight pollution is dilution. I thought it might have been the water, but it didn't occur to me until after that it also could've been shock from the way I put him in the tank. I didbt let him get used to the water ph difference.[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]So.. What do you guys think? Shock or water? My betta seems to be doing just fine, and I don't think there's anything else that could be in the water. I thought it could've been the wood, but It was completely bone dry, so it shouldn't have any aquatic pathogens. That and I boiled the heck out of that thing. [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Oh and one more thing. I knew I should've looked up my plants in the store, but at that price I figured it was worth the learning experience. I think I ended up paying 10% of the actual price I would've been paying.. 8 bucks r 80 bucks.. Lmao[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]But anyway.. What do you guys think of these plants? [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-peacock fern[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-Anubis congensis[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-amazon sword[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-amazon compacta[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-microsorium pteropus[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-Anubis afzellii[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]-Echinodorus spp[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Are they high light? Low light? Good for beginners to plant?[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Do I need a DIY co2?[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Right now they're under a natural daylight 13w cfl [/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Do I need anything else? What's a good beginning plant to carpet? can i go for it or should i wait?[/FONT]
[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]Please let me know your guys' thoughts. Thanks for everyone's time.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How was the tank cycled? I see you've tried various filters, but was any established media re-used? Any ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Dechlorinating the water?

It's generally a good idea to acclimate fish slowly although local stores may have similar water. Could be part of the issue, hard to say.

You have a number of lower maintenance plants, and probably wont need to do DIY CO2 (although it may not hurt with this small of a tank). The biggest "problem" I see is that you have a number of swords, which get very large, in a small tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks good, but like Josh said swords are going to get bigger. Keep an eye on your parameters but shouldn't be a big deal in a tank with 1 pretty betta & plants. The clear gunk is not a big deal, not unusual in a newly set up tank. Do lots of small water changes to keep Mr betta happy until things are stable.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
^ +1

Plants do hinder the cycle in a way. .. by taking ammonia out of the water. So it won't hinder the cycle in a way that will make it harder on your fish than having no plants. Also, if you got the plants out of a petstore tank, they may have the beneficial bacteria on them to help cycling.

It looks great btw

Edit: if you find a low maintenance carpeting plant, lmk

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2013
sorry it took so long to get back to you guys! thanks for all the positive feedback! i was really shocked lmao
yes i added something to dechlorinate the water, no i didnt reuse the filter media. i thought about it, but i was just worried about the goo coming back.
i tested the water. the ph was at 7.2, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. since i have plants, will i just wake up one day with nitrates? or will there still be a tiny ammonia spike?
do i have to wait any before i set up my co2? or do i have the green light to just go?

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2013
awesome thanks again for the advice everyone. ill be sure to keep an eye out.
i already set up my co2 system(minus the yeast), but now that i know its okay, i mixed up some yeast. i how have co2 :] its running through a ceramic air stone atm, but i ordered a drop checker, and a diffuser 2 days ago. it should be here soon. ill keep you guys updated.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
peacock fern is an emersed grower. it will eventually break down under water. you could try attaching it to the driftwood coming out of the water.keeping the roots submersed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store