Starting my first cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
I'm so super excited you guys!!!!!

But I have some questions. The main one being: What filter do I need?

I have a 40 gallon breeder, and I just bought 30 lbs of rocks off ebay. I'm planning on packing it pretty full of fish so I know it'll be a heavy load.

I've heard to use a canister filter, but I've never used one before... Any advice here would be super appreciated!

Any other helpful cichlid hints would be super awesome too ;)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Eheim 2217. Super easy to set-up and clean. One would be plenty, but I like to run two filters on a tank. So, I would do an Eheim 2217 canister and a HOB of your choice. Gives you some redundancy in case one suddenly stops functioning. Gives you versatility as well.

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
Thanks guys! I have a whisper filter for up to 45 gallon that I can use to help with circulation. Plus I <3 bubbles. So that plus that canister I think would work! :D Thanks so much!

This project is gonna be a long one, I am slowly saving up for each piece. I won't be buying fish until January probably but this tank is going to be a main focal piece in the den so I have to do it right :)

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
Cichlids are my favorite fish!! They have so much personality! Honestly get as much filtration as you can, do water Changes
once or twice a week and you'll be golden! They're so pretty an unique! Also have a hiding spot for each cichlids or none at all and from experience get a lot because the more you have the less territorial they will be and once one finds a place to control if there isn't enough for other fish they will become aggressive more

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork append

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store