Lighting suggestions....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm looking for suggestions,

I want moderately lit planted tanks, somewhere just below needing CO2.

tanks will be 10g and 20L,

how would you light them?

cheap is always good, but adequate amounts of light are more important. :)

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd think a 2-lamp T 5 with a good reflector would do nicely for each. My lamp preference for plants is a color temp of 6700K...what plants are you planning on keeping?

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm drawn between t5 and t5HO fixtures (not necessarily running both bulbs, but more for the cost of replacements.) and am strongly considering LEDs too.

as for plant choice, who knows.. whatever's available, whatever catches my mood at the time, etc.

Just looking to finalize lighting options first, then work on plant choices.

thanks.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
On 10g and lower I tend to migrate towards a couple CFLs or so on tanks like that. Not the most elegant setup unless you are good with DIY but cheap bulb options and it seems to do the trick for a good amount of plants.

On my 20 long I'm running a Sat+ LED and I'm seeing pretty good growth from low/medium light plants with just Excel and some dry fert dosing throughout the week (not on the EI level of course).

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks Josh,

I'm not a huge fan of a pair of CFLs over a 10g tank, but I may end up going that direction at least short term.

I'm also looking at the satellite+ or the finnex ray2.

decisions decisions.

lizzie clarkson

AC Members
Mar 9, 2013
leeds
Real Name
Elizabeth
Ive just got a tank about 15L for my baby Bristlenose plecs ordered a led light from ebay cost around £15, it have a white light and a blue light which ever you prefer it does the job just fine.

lizzie:eek:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Are you growing any plants Lizzie? If so, do you have a link to the light?

and is that 15 litres? Dimensions other than standard American sized tanks might pose difficulties too.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Thanks Josh,

I'm not a huge fan of a pair of CFLs over a 10g tank, but I may end up going that direction at least short term.

I'm also looking at the satellite+ or the finnex ray2.

decisions decisions.
Yeah, I'm thinking my 15g will have the CFLs short term until I can afford another fixture. Probably going with another Sat+ but we'll see.

Ray2's are a bit much on shallower tanks. I'd probably go with a fugeray if you go with a Finnex fixture. Still a bit more PAR than the Sat+ but more in the low-med light range at least.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I made a DIY light fixture with LED light strips, zip-ties, and political sign coroplast. It cost me less than $20, and my plants LOVE IT because it's so evenly distributed. I put a fair amount of work into making it time-wise (because I'm a perfectionist). It's super low profile, low heat, and very bright! If you have time to play around with a unique DIY lighting system, it's the way to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store