Hydor ETH 300w inline heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
Now that im moved, and settled for the moment I wanted to get a tank setup. I got a 20g long that im going to set up like a paludarium so there is only going to be 10g of water or so. Im going to overkill the filtration and use a big canister and I was looking at inline heaters but all I can easily find is Hydor 200 or 300 watt which are both larger than I need. I have read that the life of the heater could be shortened due to more on/off because it would heat the water quick, or that it could heat the water too high even at a low setting...but also read someone used the 200 on their 10 and 20g with no problems. Anyone know of a lower watt inline heater, or anyone have personal experience with the heater?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I've never seen a lower wattage inline heater. However, you can mount most of those rod shaped heaters horizontally, and as long as they never are exposed to air in that orientation, it should be perfectly safe. The reason many will say not to mount them horizontally is because the safety shutoffs are in the top, but as long as the heater isn't in a position where it can be run while out of the water, it won't matter.

That said, I don't know about a 20 long as a paludarium. It seems awfully shallow for that usage.

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
It is shallow, but im going to make it work. Just wasn't sure if the heater would break or keep the water constantly too hot, I might order one today and give a test run and see how it goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store