How to tell if your African Cichlid is sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishlover99

AC Members
Sep 24, 2013
My family fish is an African Cichlid. He hasn't been eating that much when we try to feed him. He will swim sideways upside down everywhere he goes or he will just lay on his side on the ground or rock. We are really worried about what's going on? I don't think he has any spots, though. Please help! Thanks

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
That definitely does not sound good. African cichlids will usually eat as much food as they can as a survival instinct. Also the other behaviors mentioned are a little strange but some fish do "play dead" as a defense. Does it have any other tank mates that might be intimidating him?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What kind of fish? Tank size? Temp? PH? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Other fish and how many? New decor? New fish? Approximate age of the fish?

Fishlover99

AC Members
Sep 24, 2013
I do not know the tank size, but I will get back to you. My dad bought it. So I have to ask him. Also, we had other fish in there, but they died. So it is just him. We got the fish probably one or two years ago to be estimate.

Fishlover99

AC Members
Sep 24, 2013
@leshrimp @authmal, My dad bought the fish and tank. I do not know the size. I will ask him. Also, there are no other fish in the tank because they all died. So it's just him. We purchased the fish maybe one or two years ago as an estimate.

lobster21

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
Sounds to me like swim bladder disease. Try feeding him peas, and cutt back on meaty foods like brine shrimp.

Fishlover99

AC Members
Sep 24, 2013
The other fish died last year into the beginning of this year I think, but okay @lobster21. We feed him this fish food Idk the name though. Frozen peas or cooked?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store