New Ghost Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I recently got 2 ghost shrimp to live in my fish tank that use to house my goldfish before I upgraded him. There going to be the only things in there, no additions.
Im 99% certian the bigger one has eggs, but im not sure if they are fertalized, as they could be from the pet store.
What should I do?
What should I expect?
And how do I know if there going to "Hatch"?

Oh also what are they doing when they use there back legs (i think thats what they are) to i guess you could call fan the eggs?

Thanks for any help.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If the eggs are under the belly, they're fertilized.
Unless you're going to actually dedicate yourself to breeding (a fairly labor intensive chore that's heavily dependent on knowing what exact kind of ghostie it is) them, nothing.
Expect them to hatch and die, because you're likely to have a ghostie that hatches into a larval stage that you're not presently equipped to feed.
If you look closely enough, you should see eyes not long before hatching.
Oxygenating the eggs.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah most ghost species go through a few larval stages before becoming actual shrimp looking shrimp, you would have to culture food for them. Not really worth the trouble or expense when you could just get a few cherry or other similar species that will easily reproduce with no special needs.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
So one of my shrimp unfortunetly died, so i decided to give it to my goldfish, but they barly mibled on it so i took it out.
With witinising this, I decided to try a experiament and place my live ghost shrimp in my goldfish tank.
They havnt even looked at her.
Am I just lucky or are they full?

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Really?
So as an example if I put brine shrimp in then theyd eat all of those?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Live? Probably not. I've never seen it, anyway. I don't know how long the ghostie'll survive in with the goldies, either. I think they're a bit more tropical than goldies.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I heard that they were cold water but could also live in tropical water too.
But I think they should be ok, there tank tends to stay between 66 and 76 the highest

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Never had much luck keeping ghost shrimp long term, even when placed in a tank with nothing that will eat they died off in a couple months. Had one that I kept for about a year. I think they're more cannibalistic then most other shrimp and prey on each other when molting.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The literature I've seen does say they're more aggressive than Caridina and Neocaridina species. Combine that with weak stock from being kept in poor conditions, and you're looking at animals that won't have a long life span, especially when kept in groups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store