The problem with a lily and an autofeeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
I seem to run into this on occasion when I come home from work. I pull the leaf out and toss it, keeping as much of the food on it as I can. Seems like every day I have a new 6" leaf that hits the surface though, and it is hard to keep up with trimming them.

Food on lilly leaf.jpg

Food on lilly leaf-2.jpg

Food on lilly leaf.jpg Food on lilly leaf-2.jpg

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Lol, this is a truly unique problem. Is there any area in the tank that won't get leafed out? My only idea is to put a half divider in to block the growing stems. It looks like you have multiple tanks, but you may have to add this tank to your manual feeding list.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
But that's what lilies do.

Sorry, but I really don't understand why you'd have the plant if you don't want those leaves.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

Sorry, but I really don't understand why you'd have the plant if you don't want those leaves.
It's not so much not wanting the floating leaves, it's the rate at which they can be produced which is unpredictable and become rather annoying quickly. I was told N. stellata was a bit more compact of a grower, but apparently my lighting was still low enough that it wanted to keep shooting leaves up to the surface. Multiple new ones everyday that were overgrowing other plants (partially due to poor placement on my part). I had a N. lotus in a different low light tank and it was much more manageable.

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008

Yah, I am not REALLY complaining. More humorous than anything. As long as I check it daily the build-up isn't bad.

I was considering moving the anything with floating leaves like this to another tank, but there just isn't anywhere quite as nice as this one. The tank itself is a 180, and the leaves from this one plant can pretty easily cover 2/3rds of the surface.

I can't move it to manual feeding because of the fish in it, and my schedule works out to only about 2 hours most evening when I can feed.

Anyway, I am glad I am not the only one with the 'problem'.

On a side note my lighting didn't change, but I did run out of CO2 for a bit. When that happened was when this plant shot to the surface. While I was adding CO2 it was manageable. Since the CO2 ran out though I have had 2 flowers which is pretty cool.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Maybe try putting it on the far side of the tank from the lily and then put a line of fishing wire that would 'corral' the leaves away from it, since they're less likely to surface far away from the base of the plant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store