Help with very sick goldfish - red protrusion, swollen behind gills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

siroccosky

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2013
Hello,

Please help me diagnose and treat my goldfish. He's been quite sick now for a couple of weeks, and the treatments we've been trying have not helped - he seems to be getting worse, so I don't think I'm diagnosing / treating properly.

Originally he looked a little swollen behind his gills and had what looked like a red pimple / some kind of protrusion sticking out on both sides (see photo - title: fish1). We took photos to our local aquarium shop and they gave us Myxazin to treat it. The red pimple-like protrusions turned red and white during the antibiotic treatment and the swelling has reduced and the protrusion disappeared on one side. On the other side though the redness has spread and the fins are now pineconing over the red area (see photos - fish2, fish3 and fish4). When I look closely at the photos it looks like there is an angry gash under the scales that are sticking out. I've had a look through the disease guide on the forum, but I don't know which it might be, so am not sure how to proceed.

He is the only goldfish in a 30l biorb with 2 platys and 2 catfish who are all fine. I've tested the water and all levels are fine. Right now I have him in a hospital tank by himself.

He is quite lively and doesn't seem to be in pain, but it looks terrible and seems to be getting worse. I have not treated for a few days to see the effect of the antibiotics, but it needs some kind of treatment - I'm just not sure what.

Does anyone know what this might be? Can you recommend treatment? I have read about salt baths - would these be useful and can they be used in conjunction with antibiotics?

Any help you can give will be gratefully accepted; this is my favourite fish and I would be very sad to lose him.

Thanks!

fish1.jpg fish2.jpg fish3.jpg fish4.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store