Setting up permanent QT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I finally have the space for a small quarantine tank. And I have some extra colonized media from my main tank. So I could have it up and running right away.

I wouldn't mind keeping it running full-time--but I don't know the best way to do that. I could add a few drops of ammonia every so often, but ... could I keep a shrimp or something in there to keep the cycle going? Not sure what the logistics would be once I really need to quarantine or treat something.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
A lot of people will run an extra filter on one of their established tanks to keep it cycled and then switch it over to the QT when needed.

If I kept a QT permanently established it would prlly just turn into a stocked tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
agree with ^.. if you have established tanks there is no need to keep a tank cycled for QT.. I keep the QT tank empty(15 g I picked up cheap) keep spare filter sponge running in an established tank then move the sponge over..most times I simple rinse the sponge in the qt filter or add it to the qt filter.

instant cycle...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have a bare bottom 20g long that has some plants, a couple snails & a filter running. I will switch out either the filter or media if I need to QT in a hurry otherwise it's just keeping the plants alive for now. I change water every 3-4 weeks or when there's something to vacuum out. It's nice to have an extra tank ready to go if needed, it's a sign of either too much room or too much experience, ;). Do it!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I have a 5g QT tank I keep up and running ( we do mostly smaller fish) its bare bottom with trimmings of plants floating waiting for the next auction.

We keep it stocked with about 10 Malawa shrimp to keep it going..fish come in and are in the tank for a month, of nothing is wrong with them, in to the main tank they go.

sick fish get placed in the tank treated and the tank gets cleaned out filter media gets tossed ( just pollyfill) and new media is taken from an established canister and added back in and the tank stays up.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, keep it bare bones and maybe you won't be tempted to stock it. LOL!

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
i have two filters on my 10g qt: one sponge; one HOB rated at 5-10g. The HOB was brand new and therefore uncycled, but the sponge filter was used for a month or two on a fully stocked fry tank and is fully colonized with BB. Before my new purchase of danios and a ram I had about ten snails in there to keep the BB fed. The tank also holds cuttings from my other tanks which have grown out very nicely. I plan on keeping it running full time after the new stock is placed in their proper tanks, because even without fish in it I enjoy observing the little underwater garden...watching snails mate is pretty gross and cool too.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
We keep it stocked with about 10 Malawa shrimp to keep it going..fish come in and are in the tank for a month, of nothing is wrong with them, in to the main tank they go.

sick fish get placed in the tank treated and the tank gets cleaned out filter media gets tossed ( just pollyfill) and new media is taken from an established canister and added back in and the tank stays up.
What do you do with the shrimp when you're treating sick fish in that tank?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
What do you do with the shrimp when you're treating sick fish in that tank?
they stay in the tank...nothing i use to treat sick fish kill inverts..if we do on the off chance have to use something bad for them....well they stay anyway, we have 1000s of the shrimp...so if they die we would suck them out as soon as we noticed...but this has yet to happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store