200 gallon FO saltwater setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Whats up guys,

FIRSTLY, this is probably going to turn into a long read, so please forgive me and bare with me and for those who read all the way through, thank you.

So, some of you may know that i recently got a 8'L x 20"W x 24"T 200 gallon aquarium, originally I was really hoping to keep freshwater stingrays and other assorted large specie exotic fresh water fish, but the center piece was going to be the stingrays. It was brought to my attention that unfortunately, a tank that is only 20" wide is not large enough for any species of freshwater stingrays... so fine, back to the drawing board...

So the only thing I could think of that I would want to keep more than stingrays would be... Sharks, salt water Sharks. So I started researching a little to see if 200 gallons would even get me in the ball bark of keeping Sharks. I originally wanted a species of shark that has the size, shape, behavior and swimming style of what comes to mind when someone thinks of a shark, the black tip / white tip shark came to mind. Through research i learned that they need a minimum of 1000 gallons, so that quickly went out of the window.

I kept researching, and found that the " Cat " family of sharks, Bamboo, banded cat, dog chain, epaulette, Marbled Catshark, coral catshark, etc etc. All of these sharks stay under 3' as full adults and they all require a minimum of around 150-180 gallons. Since my tank is much much longer than a typical 150 gallon tank, i think my 8' 200 gallon tank will be perfect. Winner winner chicken dinner? Im thinking a couple of one of those species (which ever i can get my hands on ) and some rays, id really like to get a blue dot ray, but i havent done any research about what a good ray would be for this tank, havent gotten that far yet. I was also thinking of keeping more exotic saltwater fish that ive always wanted to keep, like triggers and lion fish, but same with the rays, i havent begun research for those fish.

From my research i have read that saltwater sharks require near perfect water to thrive, and the best way to do that is through an epic filter. I have a 90 gallon tank that i am going to make into a sump for it, it will have room for over 50 gallons of biological media and will have really good mechanical filtration. The sump will be wet/dry with some of the bio media completely submersed and the rest under a drip plate. Ive also read that a good protein skimmer is necessary. I will also have an algae scrubber.

I have never had a salt water tank of any kind, but have been keeping freshwater fish for over 15 years and i like to think i am an experienced aquarist. I have been " gung ho " about starting a saltwater tank a few times and went into serious binge research mode a few times and have always been discouraged by that start up cost, high likely hood of failure, expensive filtration, chemicals and water tests. In the past tho ive always been researching about how to keep a reef tank, for this setup i was thinking about doing a " Fish Only " or FO setup to keep things simple and relatively cheap (compared to a reef setup).

^^^ All that is optional to read, if you dont want to read that please skip to here ^^^

So my questions are;

1. Is a 200 gallon 8' tank suitable for a couple cat family sharks?
2. What are the pros and cons of a FISH ONLY saltwater setup?
3. Would pool sand be an acceptable substrate for this kind of setup?
4. Is a fish only saltwater tank more complicated than i think it is, basically a freshwater tank, but with salt...?
5. I read that saltwater fish like higher PH, my tap is around 7.2, how would i get it into the 8+ph range?

I suppose thats it for now.

Thank you for any input!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Whats up guys,
So my questions are;

1. Is a 200 gallon 8' tank suitable for a couple cat family sharks?
2. What are the pros and cons of a FISH ONLY saltwater setup?
3. Would pool sand be an acceptable substrate for this kind of setup?
4. Is a fish only saltwater tank more complicated than i think it is, basically a freshwater tank, but with salt...?
5. I read that saltwater fish like higher PH, my tap is around 7.2, how would i get it into the 8+ph range?

I suppose thats it for now.

Thank you for any input!
I'm no shark expert, always wanted a tank big enough for one though.. I didn't think 200g was big enough but LA says its ok for a black banded cat, they do say the epaulette and bamboo need 300g+ the 20" just seems to narrow to me but the 180 minimum size in a standard tank is only 25" so maybe it is ok.

Pro's of fish is its cheaper, don't need expensive lighting, less parameters to keep an eye on, less stuff to dose. Probably still want to use RODI water though sharks are sensitive to water conditions, even a skimmer would be good idea.

I would not use pool sand, silica type sands seem to bring out algae in SW, argonite sand will be one of things that help keep your ph up, salt mixes also contain stuff to help buffer up the ph level, some live rock in the sump can help as well.

Its a bit more complicated then FW, as you've already mentioned the filtration needs to be better, got to stay on top of water top offs to keep salinity stable, ATO is well worth it in that size system. I know the larger size sharks like alot of current if the cat's are similar you'll probably need near reef level circulation.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think it would be a good idea. 3 foot long fish, 20 inches of room to turn? It would seem a standard 180, at 24 inches wide, would be a bit cramped, even with the extra flexibility of the cartilaginous skeleton.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I don't think it would be a good idea. 3 foot long fish, 20 inches of room to turn? It would seem a standard 180, at 24 inches wide, would be a bit cramped, even with the extra flexibility of the cartilaginous skeleton.[/QUOTE

+1 i also think a 3foot shark with only 20" to turn would cause some issues and possibly harm when turning. I have NO background in SW but to me it just doesnt seem right. The ocean is huge and the diversity is huge as well so maybe you can find a different fish that will fasinate? you. I wish the best and hope to see some pictures with whatever direction you decide to go ( FW or SW)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
^this...i love the tank and the idea of a possible saltwater set up but there is just some fish that are meant for the ocean or super sized tanks that just cant be setup in homes. seems just as bad as putting an adult oscar in a 50gallon IMO

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store