API test kit and Microbe lift Special Blend are a tad incompatible me thinks!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Because this is what I got tonight 0_0

Yet my fish look like this?

[video=youtube;QeNNuTjHg60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNNuTjHg60&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Something is off. Anybody know what causes this reaction? I imagine this is very out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Clicking your You Tube imbed results in a message that the video is private...

Apr 2, 2002
New York
As far as I can tell this product is actually intended to produce ammonia in a tank. It claims to aid in the breakdown of organic waste. This will make ammonia. The product contains little useful nitrifying bacteria as far as i can tell since the ammonia bacs in fw and sw are different. This is despite their claim to the contrary that it will help process nitrogen.

I consider products like this to have their best application when poured into a porcelain container with an attached handle one can pull or button to push which will send the stuff exactly where it belongs.

Whenever I see a product that claims it:

Dramatically reduces need for water changes
Reduces the frequency of cleaning

I run for the hills and don't look back.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
  • Dramatically reduces need for water changes
  • Reduces the frequency of cleaning
  • Good for salt and freshwater fish
  • Chemical free!
  • A new tank starter for biological cycling and boosting
  • An organic waste degrader
  • Naturally stimulates plant growth
  • Lowers ammonia levels and biologically reduces nitrates
  • Removes odors and clears cloudy water
  • Biological maintainer for established tanks
  • Enhances ability of plants to utilize light, water and nutrients
  • Breaks down residue on gravel, plants ,rocks, etc.
  • Breaks down protein foam
Yikes, there's just no way you can do all that from a bottle. Seems companies like to lump every single benefit that "microbes" play (including some very indirect effects) onto one list...like TTA said, I would guess there's maybe some heterotrophic bacteria in there to consume organics which may increase ammonia/ammonium through mineralization. Whether it actually contains nitrifying bacteria would be another story. I'm inclined to also say no if they say it works for both FW and SW. That's just not possible.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
I never expected the microbe lift to do everything it said on the label, I just wanted the bacteria cultures to supplement what I already had going in the seeded filter. Though it did clear the water literally overnight.

Anyway, all this still doesn't explain why my ammonia is so high and my fish are happy as clams.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Did you double check the API results? Do you know the expiration date(s)?

Some of the ammonia may actually be ionized which is far less toxic, depending on the pH, although it still would likely leave a lot of bad free ammonia. High nitrite would be really bad but I have a hard enough time discerning the different shades of blue/purple as it is and trying to judge it from a pic is worse. A large water change wouldn't hurt just in case.

Certain things have been known to interfere with test kits depending on what you add. Really no way of knowing what's in those bacteria bottles since it's all "trade secrets." Honestly, I'd just stop using it altogether. No need IMO and if it's throwing off your readings then that's an issue if/when problems arise and you need accurate numbers.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
If your water was cloudy, that was a bacterial bloom. Bacteria are living things, when they die, the break down and this creates ammonia.

Many things can throw off ammonia test results. Any amount of iron in the water, any turbidity, high level of nitrate are a few examples.

I recommend Dr. Tim's One and Only because I have a pretty good idea what is in it and have read the research papers published about the bacteria being used. If I had a desire to buy more than the nitrifyers, I would likely also buy his. Especially since he holds patent rights to some of the nitrite bacs.

Next, some of the heterotrophic bacteria can out compete the nitrifiers for oxygen and even ammonia.

I am amazed at what folks are willing to pour into their tanks without really having any idea what is in the bottle. If you can not determine/understand what it is, how it works etc. why use it?

And not all bacterial products refuse to reveal what they contain. I only refuse to use those which do not.

-If what is in the bottle is protected by a patent, revealing it is poses no risk.
-If what is in the bottle is something cheap and easy to find, revealing it means you would know you are being played.
-If what the bottle contains is the wrong kind of bacteria, revealing it means buyers would know it was not useful.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
*sigh*

You know some people around here would do well to monitor their tone. No one likes being spoken down to like a child. You can get the same amount of information across in a much more polite way. the whole thing with flies, vinegar and honey still applies to the internet.

Also I am perfectly capable of reading and comprehending what a label says, I might need a magnifying glass from time to time, but I am literate, and generally skeptical. Like I said before I never expected the stuff to do everything it said on the bottle, but it had good reviews, and I couldn't find my usual seeding product so I gave it a shot.

I also know what a bacteria bloom is, I've been keeping fish for over 10 years, I like to think i have the basics down. Pretty sure most people would have been confused at the results. I took a sample to my local LFS to get a second opinion and everything was fine. Apparently my test kit is just old. A shame they don't put a "best by" date on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store