Might do a low budget planted...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

necigrad

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
So I've been sitting here with an empty 20G L and stand for a few years now (basically since I went to reef from FW) and I stumbled on various YouTube videos of planted tanks. I know I am not going to have something like Amano would build, but I'd like to do something at least similar, within my means and ability. By similar I mean the overall look: deliberate, clean, and not a jungle that fills the tank. I kind of have something in my head of some rockwork to one side with whatever I can pull off as a carpet over a majority of the tank, possibly with some type of substrate to create the river effect to break things up. Kinda like this, but without the "tree" and just as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwODyFMsxN8

I think it's rather doable for someone without any real planted experience (a little bit several years ago). For now I'm just thinking about it but if I do this I want to do it rather cheap. My prime cost concern is lighting and CO2. I'm guessing I can get LED for under $100, maybe even half that, but I'm really not sure, especially since I don't know what I'll be putting in there yet. The CO2 is a completely different issue as I'm wondering if I can actually pull off a planted tank without it. I doubt it, but no CO2 would be choice. I'm not necessarily looking for fast growth, but I don't want to battle algae if I can avoid it.

Livestock is still far from being determined, so I've no idea if I want fish, crustaceans, a mix, or what. Having a 24G reef I've got a whopping two fish so light on fish is cool, but on the flip side I kinda miss having a bunch of little fish swimming around.

Am I dreaming?

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
A 20L is not very deep so lighting shouldn't be an issue. Liquid CO2 is always an option/alternative to pressurized. If your plan is to use mostly low growers (as in the video) but are not going to do the "tree" you'll need something to give a little vertical however. Maybe a small stand of taller crypts or a medium Echinodorus species or a stem or three of H, Corymbosa OR some hardscape - a taller rock (same type as the smaller ones you plan on using) or a taller piece of wood.

necigrad

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, no tree, rockwork or driftwood will definitely happen. The layout would be imbalanced and favoring one side, but I think it'll look fine and I like a lot of openness. I'm not sure what plants I'd want. I want the carpet/field effect to some extent and a few taller plants would be fine as well, but the tanks that are heavily planted don't appeal to me. I'll need to get some ideas on plants later once this gets closer, plus they will have to be available locally (online is just WAY too expensive). I think at this point I'm just trying to make sure I can do what I want. That example was more of for layout, not plant choice (not saying I do or don't want that). Once I get closer to doing this I'll need to iron out those details.

As far as lighting goes, will something like http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+23688&pcatid=23688 work or will I need something stronger like http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+24726&pcatid=24726 ? Since as you said it's a shallow tank I don't need as much, but I'd rather buy once on hardware (and those are just examples, not necessarily choices). Also since I keep things warm in the summer (78F) LEDs are FAR preferred, I don't need to ADD heat.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Single bright probably isn't going to do much...double bright could be better if you want to go with the Marineland. I'm using the Satellite + by Current. Finnex's Fugeray is another popular LED choice for lower light.

Here's some more options: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=386321

Online plants can actually be fairly cheap. There are forums where people will offer up extras/clippings as ROAK for the price of shipping.

necigrad

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Great link. Gives me a good range. Looking at that I'd go with either the Current or Aqueon, though I've no idea yet. I like the price and feature range too.

Would I really be missing anything by sticking with lower light plants? Since I don't have my heart set on anything in particular it's not like I'll be eliminating something that I have planned. The Current appears (though with LEDs the whole WPG thing is destroyed) like it might have extra oomph, plus it's got the very versatile programming.

Wasn't thinking about individuals online but stores. That's an excellent point, especially since I'd guess that plants ship far easier then fish or coral!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
By similar I mean the overall look: deliberate, clean, and not a jungle that fills the tank.
I was hoping pappy had more to say on this subject ;)

Landscapes are great, but nothing beats wild and grown. That being said, I do highly appreciate landscaped planted tanks i see in magazines because they veer back toward the aquarium - as an impressive household decoration - while not veering back toward the inhumane treatment of aquatic life. It seems like a perfect harmony of the two.

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
All my tanks are lower light, using occasional dry fert dosing with Excel...I much prefer the slower growth and ease of care. And I still think you can get a decent looking 'scape. You certainly are limited by your selection though, there's no way around it...

necigrad

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
So we can say most definitely doable, but lighting will need to be revisited as part of plant selection then.

That's enough for now; like I said I'm only thinking at this time. Thanks for the input, it's nice to know that I can likely make this happen.

prez2306

AC Members
Jun 25, 2010
If you have a keen eye for craigslist, that might be a good place to look. I got a good deal on a 2x96w Coralife fixture and I'm currently running it on my 20L (only one bulb, of course). 96w is a bit of overkill, and the 36" fixture on a 30" tank isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but the staurogyne repens I use for my foreground has taken off in the roughly two months I've had it set up. Algae isn't terribly hard to handle, and I'm only dosing liquid ferts at the moment. One thing to note is that this fixture seems to be used primarily for SW, so the popular bulb configuration is 10k/actinic. I had to buy a 6700k online for about $34. I do use a mix of floramax/eco-complete, which is probably also part of the reason the staurogyne is doing so well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store