I DID IT!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Looks like I graduated...from a basic no plant tank to one with decent success.

uploadfromtaptalk1381090924703.jpg

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1381090924703.jpg

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
that fuzzy stuff is hair algea...remove as much as you can by hand every time you see it or your tank will be covered in it...and it will choke out your plants.

congrats on a planted tank though ^_^

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Kaosu, I am glad someone realized what my post really was about.

I was faithfully following the method popularized by tom Barr until recently. Personal reasons have led to sporadic fert dosings at best, but the CO2 and lights are on a timer. 10 hrs for both.

This has led to bba and hair algae as you saw...I have.never had issues with algae before, but I know the cause is an imbalance...should I stop CO2 since I am no longer able to dose correctly? And I know one step most take to rid algae is to reduce the photo period, but how much?

10 gallon, (2) 13w CFL bulbs, roughly 2 bubbles per second CO2. Fauna= 4 guppies, baby bn pleco, 3 Cory's and a clown for snail control.
Flora= red wendtii, cabomba, val, duckweed (strangely not growing buck wild anymore, I was scooping out 2 big clumps a week.), Frog bit, and Anacharis.

I am basically looking for correction on running this tank.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Oh and for posting when others don't here is your prize.
uploadfromtaptalk1381113032202.jpguploadfromtaptalk1381113050237.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1381113032202.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1381113050237.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, you're off to a good start, nice crypt, pretty plec. Here's my random thoughts, although I'm battling hair algae too, with only some success. Cut your photoperiod to 6-7 hours. Use a chopstick or new toothbrush to twirl out the algae. My clado algae got worse when dosing ferts inconsistently. Some more hardscape (rocks &/or wood) would look good & provide plec hiding places. You could tie the floating or planted anubias to either. A background will help block the window light, if that's what I see. A clown loach? For snail control? Ack, my pet peeve! They need a group & grow quite large (10-12 inches) although slowly after 5 or 6 inches. They need at least a 75g & will outgrow it in several years. Rehome it ASAP. A 10g is small for all those fish, what kind of cory? If they're dwarfs add 6, if they're a "regular" size species maybe add 2, they need a group too. Or maybe you have other tanks?

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Cut your photoperiod to 6-7 hours. Use a chopstick or new toothbrush to twirl out the algae. Some more hardscape (rocks &/or wood) would look good & provide pleco hiding places. You could tie the floating or planted anubias to either. A background will help block the window light, if that's what I see. Or maybe you have other tanks?
I will take that advice and cut my time, I assume to do the same with the CO2, no light= no production, ergo no reason to leave it running.
Thanks for the tip on the hair algae.
There is no Sun light near this tank, and I wanted to spray the back black with plasta-dip, but I got ahead of my self and started the tank before getting it done.

And yes, I have 2 other larger tanks. And I do plan on rehoming the clowns (I have one in my 30 too). Assassin snails could not handle the job.

So should I stop ferts and CO2? (until I get my health issues under control).

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Try getting amano shrimp for the hair algae. They are great at eating that.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Try getting amano shrimp for the hair algae. They are great at eating that.
yes...this will put a band aid on the problem not solve it..and amano shrimp only eat algae if no other food is available...so you have to starve the tank.

lower your timers like the others have said..and cut back on the CO2 like you thought.

If you want the back blacked out now try taping black paper to the back or...be lazy like me and just pin a black chunk of fabric to the wall behind it ^_^.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I pulled the hair algae out with no issue. I lowered both timers. Oh new question, what is the deal with black algae? I tried scraping it off the leaf with my nail...no luck. To the touch I feel nothing, but I can visibly see it. What gives?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store