Metricide 14 and Stagorn algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I started dosing Metricide 14 last week after reading reviews about it being a good low cost carbon source.
I had a little staghorn algae and other green brush type algae that had slowly spread over the years and thought the Metricide might help.
Well after a week of daily dosing 3mm (the equivalent of an Excell dose) to my 40 gallon tank, the staghorn algae has exploded in growth. The plants and fish seem fine, even the Jungle Vals seem to tolerate it, but the algae appears to like this carbon source even more than the plants!
I have 63 watts of t5 lighting over the 40 gallon tank. Ferts consist of a weekly dose of Flourish.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Are you dosing it to the tank, or directly on to the algae?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'm just dosing the tank. I guess I could target dose some of it but I would be leary of target dosing the staghorn algae growing on the vals.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
gmh, I dose between 5-10mL daily with M14 for my 55g. Algae pretty much under control. I'd think you need to up your dosage a bit to find your proper balance.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm just dosing the tank. I guess I could target dose some of it but I would be leary of target dosing the staghorn algae growing on the vals.
The glutaraldehyde (or whatever the complete name is) is highly effective at killing algae by direct dosing. I think dosing the tank is more of a maintenance, as in minimizing new algae growth, kind of deal.

goneRogue

AC Members
Aug 2, 2013
Too much light. I would cut it down to 1 bulb. You MIGHT be able to get away with 2 bulbs now that you're supplementing co2, but I would start with the 1 until you get your algae under control.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
gmh, I dose between 5-10mL daily with M14 for my 55g. Algae pretty much under control. I'd think you need to up your dosage a bit to find your proper balance.
Hmm, it's a little scary to up the dose but I'll go up to 4mm and see what happens. I'm just surprised that adding carbon would result in making the algae worse instead of better. I recall having a similar type algae appear after adding chemipure to my canister filter. I removed that stuff after a week.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Carbon shouldn't be an issue. Target dosing is what you're looking for. You can even keep the dosage the same, and just turn off flow for a little while (10-30 minutes), dose a patch via syringe, and then turn flow on again. That'll have the same volume of metricide for the rest of the tank, and will kill of the patch of algae that was targeted.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hmm, it's a little scary to up the dose but I'll go up to 4mm and see what happens.
No worries. I once accidentally dosed my planted 10g with the 55's dosage. :uhoh:

The 10 is loaded with red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, snails, 3 silver hatchet fish and a japanese blue guppy. No issues what so ever. Critters are as clean as a whistle with that dose of glut.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
That's good to hear. I probably should have OD'd the first dose like the Excel folks recommend but I'm hoping to keep the Vals alive and well and decided to go with conservative dosage. So far the Jungle Vals seem to like the added carbon and the swords are going nuts (along with the algae).
As far as target dosing, this weird algae is all over the tank so it's sort of a lost cause when I only have 4mm a day to work with. I may target dose some with H202. That can be somewhat effective and safer for the Vals I think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store