Identifying mystery fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishious

AC Members
Mar 1, 2011
We purchased a few fish from a local store, and picked up this little fellow as a Hifin Tetra. WTfish.jpg
Once we got home and got a closer look, we realized it doesn't look much like the tetras we've looked at online, and is more catfish like in appearance. Does anyone know what this is? We've been calling it "the not tetra" or the "what the fish (wtf)" but would like to at least know how big it's going to get since we overbought/were oversold for our 10 gallon and are going to be upgrading tanks.

Thanks very much!

WTfish.jpg

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
They are also called high fin banded shark. They may have gotten confused with hifin tetra.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I suppose it could look like a large blackskirt (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) but I would hope a LFS worker with even a bit of knowledge would notice that the fish certainly isn't a tetra...hopefully they let you return it and I would most definitely inform them of what it actually is so they don't accidentally sell it to another unsuspecting hobbyist. This definitely is not a fish for someone with an average sized tank, plus I think they like cooler, more oxygenated waters.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Or sell it on Craigslist for more than you bought it? :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store