URGENT: Peppered cory listless/upside down (X-post from Freshwater Illness/Disease)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
Hi,
I'm currently across the country in college, and my family is taking care of my two cory cats back home. My peppered cory has been having problems since I left a couple of months ago. My mom first noticed him swimming a lot around the entire tank (not simply the bottom as my other cat does), but I did not view that as a sign of illness, as he looked and ate fine. However, he began to float occasionally and lie motionless unless the water was disturbed, after which he would resume motion. After he seemed to have issues staying upright, I believed it to be swim bladder disease, and my mom stopped feeding for a few days, and did a water change. He then resumed normal behavior, but in the past few days has become very listless again, lying completely vertical against the filter intake tube, inside some plants, and even upside down. His general appearance is markedly different from a few months ago. Where he used to be plump and dark, he is now pale and has a "flaky" delicate appearance. His tubby cory belly is now slightly concave. Because I'm so far away, I don't know the params (I also don't believe my mom knows how to use the test kit), but she has been doing regular water changes and will be doing another today.
I've linked two very clear videos of his behavior below. I truly appreciate any help anyone can offer, as I'm very worried about him!! Thank you so incredibly much.

Video 1: Rapid Breathing and Sick Appearance - http://youtu.be/zOrEidLw5hE
Video 2: Upside Down - http://youtu.be/_gI35nzhFNU

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully he can pull through! How old is he? How long after you left did this start happening? Cories aren't the best at dealing with poor or improper maintenance, so that could be an issue. How well did your mom understand the maintenance process?

I hate to suggest placing blame, but it's worth looking into, especially since some family members seem to think proper maintenance is unnecessary overkill

There's not much you can do besides keeping a good environment. Maybe some medicated food, but I don't have much experience with that

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
And he must be pretty bad because he looks like an emerald green cory in the vids

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
I'm not sure how old he is, as I recently got him a few weeks before I left, but he was quite large already so I'm guessing at least 8 months to a year. The tank is a Marineland Eclipse System 6 (6 gallons) with one other cory cat inside, a Laser cory whom I've had for 5 years now and has never gotten sick. It's a planted tank, and in terms of care, I've instructed my mom to feed a very small amount (one 1-cm-diameter sinking wafer daily) and to do small partial water changes weekly, in addition to larger water changes monthly.
I'm not sure if he's eating or not. Is there any kind of liquid medication or salt I could try, or any ideas what it is? :(

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Hi,
I currently have 3 types of Cories (Peppered, 3-Lined, and Albino). When you say wafers, are you talking about algae wafers? I'm asking because because Cories are not vegetarian, they are carnivorous and do require protein to thrive. I feed my Cory Cats what I would feed my other fish I keep them with. They do good on blood worms, shrimp pellets(a really good option), and flakes. I also think a 6 gallon might be a little small for Cory Cats. I know my largest Cories may be close to 3 inches if not bigger(which are about 4 years old right now). The females get a lot bigger than the males. Personally, I wouldn't keep a school in nothing less than a 20 gallon. Also, Cories especially Albino and Peppered do not do good in poor water conditions or changes in water parameters. I have lost Cory fry do to slight changes. It kind of looks like it could a parasite because it stomach looks skinny. Maybe you want to try something like PraziPro. I hope your Cory can pull through.

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
The wafers, from what I remember, have fish and shrimp meal (and some other meat content), so don't worry, they are not exclusively algae wafers. My Laser cory is almost 3 inches, and the peppered cory I believe is around 2.5. I try to supplement for the small tank size (I got it years ago and now don't have room to expand, unfortunately) with frequent water changes. Thanks for the advice; I'll look into PraziPro!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store