Dwarf lion fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
I don't know much about salt water keeping. I've only done fresh but I've been really untreated in dwarf lion fish and I'm really interested. I searched it a bit and saw that you can keep them in a 30 gallon and just wanna know if that's true, also I have sand substrate from home depo and I know you can't use it for salt but where can you get it for a cheap price? I have a 40
Gallon filter and it's submerged and I was wondering if I need a HOB one or canister and what and the right conditions for it. My birthday is coming up so I'll have money to put towards It. I know that you can Hilo start it and put the fish it as fast as you can fresh and I was also wondering if I took sand from a beach and salt water and was able to use that to save some money? I'm not looking for douche answers I just want help. Thanksn

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are a few dwarf species that will fit in a 40 just fine. I wouldn't add much more outside a cleanup crew of hermits and snails, but one fish will be good.

You can use the sand from home depot. Rinse it really well, then add. It won't provide buffering, but your salt mix will keep the water at the right parameters anyway. You don't want fresh seawater or beach sand. Close to the shore, toxins accumulate, and in the volume of the ocean, that's not a big problem, but in a tank, it can be lethal.

Otherwise, Saltwater is much the same---a canister filter will work, but you'll use it primarily for water movement. The tank will be more stable if you run it with live rock (search of FOWLR, fish only with live rock), since the live rock houses the beneficial bacteria needed. Add it, then add your clean up crew, then the lion fish.

When buying the fish, make sure it is taking prepared foods. Do NOT buy one that is only eating live foods unless you are 100% prepared to keep buying live food for it's entire life. Keep in mind that most feeder fish sold at the stores are FW and not appropriate for a saltwater animal. Don't over feed your lion--2-3 meals a week is plenty.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I think a Fu Manchu lion is probably best suited for your size tank, like Orion said make sure its eating fu manchu's are especially finicky so you want one already eating.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
6 weeks +/-... Its hard to give a accurate number depends if you use live rock and how much of it, same with live sand vs non.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on the live rock and sand. If it's cured right, it is the same as using established media--bacteria colonies are there, you can add the rock, wait a day or two, test, and if nitrogen levels are good, add the clean up crew, wait and test again, then add your fish. Water changes are your friend, same as with fresh.

If it's uncured, all bets are off. You add it, then wait and test and do water changes, wait and test and do water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store