H.O.T. MAGNUM PRO SYSTEM

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It's a great supplemental filter for med/larger tanks. It probably would be enough for a 23g tank used as a stand-alone. These filters do produce a decent amount of current/water flow and are easily adjusted in just about any direction. I wouldn't compare it to other true canisters as it just isn't designed the same way and has a very limited media capacity. One great feature of this filter is the micron cartridge which can be used from time to time to polish the water if needed.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, they look great aside from the bio-wheel. I had bad luck with a small Penguin bio-wheel HOB and wouldn't buy another.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
IMO, they look great aside from the bio-wheel. I had bad luck with a small Penguin bio-wheel HOB and wouldn't buy another.
Same experience.
But anyways back to your question, i dont have that exact filter but i recently bought a HOT magnum filter to try out and so far its doing fine. I have yet to try the micron water polisher but i think i need to. Ill let you know how it goes if you want.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Holy crap! :eek3:

I just looked at the link from the Marineland site, and saw the price. For that pricing, get an AC 110 and AquaTop CF400UV! Even the biggest (rated for 92 gallons) Eheim Classic 250 is 2/3 of that price, and I don't think anyone will call Eheim inferior to Marineland in terms of canister filters. http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Classic...&ie=UTF8&qid=1381414399&sr=1-1&keywords=eheim

Granted, it's cheaper on Amazon, but I don't like the idea of a HOB canister. It seems kinda big to be hanging off the side of the tank, and would just go for a regular canister.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Fyi, the HOT 250 is comparable to an AC 70 in size. An AC 110 or Emperor 400 take up twice the space.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Fyi, the HOT 250 is comparable to an AC 70 in size. An AC 110 or Emperor 400 take up twice the space.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm sure. I was more making a reference to better options for most applications for the same price as the one in the Marineland link thank trying to imply that an AC 110 is actually going to fit on the tank. I'm not even sure it would fit at all, without knowing the dimensions of the tank. My opinion is that a standard (as opposed to HOB) canister filter is a better option for the price he's willing to pay, according to the Amazon link for the HOT Magnum Pro, and that Eheim is a well regarded filter at a similar price point with better filtration ratings.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The only filtration ratings that count are the ones that an operator judges...all others are basic hype to sell product.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store