New aquarium guy!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wildlife72

AC Members
Oct 11, 2013
Texas
I currently have a small 10 gallon tank, however; I'm looking to upgrade. I'm going for a vivarium type theme...all natural looking. I want to put different things in it, like fish I was going with Pictus catfish, some minnows, or guppies. I also plan to put an African Dwarf frog or two in it. that being said, I also want to put a crayfish in the tank too. it's a good 40-50 gallon tank. would that be okay with all of them, I really want them all to create a habitat almost like something you would see in a lake or pond...but I don't want to put them all in and that be asking for trouble...:/

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
:welcome:

I'd recommend putting your questions into a post in General Freshwater so more people will see it. For what it's worth, Pictus catfish need a 75 gallon tank and are shoalers that eat anything they can swallow, which is everything else you listed, aside from possibly the crayfish. Aside from dwarf crayfish, crayfish tend to eat anything they can catch.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
:agree:

Remember in a 40 gallon vivarium, you might only be using 20 gallons or so of water depending on your setup. Keep us posted!

wildlife72

AC Members
Oct 11, 2013
Texas
I will!
I went ahead and reposted this thread in general freshwater, like I was told...this is my first post. I didn't know there was a place for stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

NullEntropy

AC Members
Sep 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'd strongly strongly strongly recommend AGAINST housing ADF with any fish. Their poop causes levels to spike pretty high, and once they're large enough, will eat any minnows or guppies. It's really best to keep ADF in their own viv, and have only small fish as "feeders" (meaning they will get eaten eventually, so don't get attached). You might be able to get crayfish with the frogs, but if they're not of similar size, one will try to eat the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store