My cory catfish laid eggs!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
Hi everyone,
Do these eggs seem viable to you? I have a Peruvian green stripe laser cory and had a very sick peppered cory that I euthanized, and the morning after the euthanization, these eggs appeared. The first picture is the day they were found, and now they have turned white. I can't support baby fish in my small tank, and it would be best if my laser cory ate them or they weren't viable. Take a look at let me know what you think!IMG_3533.JPGIMG_1490.jpeg

IMG_1490.jpeg IMG_3533.JPG

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Unfertilized eggs turn white, now you know your laser is female (if you didn't already). Depending on the species the fertilized eggs turn tan to brown. You might want to take those eggs as unfertilized eggs tend to grow fungus. I believe, I could be wrong but Cory species can't cross.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Those do not look like fertilized eggs.

PS--Why is there a ring on the base of the plant??

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
Thanks! I'm quite relieved that they're not fertile actually, because I can't support baby cories right now. :( The "ring" on the base of the plant is just a bendable zinc weight.

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
BUMP:
Will any harm come to my cory if she eats her eggs that might have developed fungus? (I'm across the country in college, and my mother (the primary fish caretaker) just left on vacation.)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think corys eat cory eggs (good or fungused).

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
They will eat their own eggs, but I don't think any harm will come to the fish from doing so, fertilized eggs or not.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I'm pretty sure the cory or any other fish in the tank, will eat the eggs before they fungus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store