My green aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I am starting another tank, after a year of not having a tank. I had originally been planning a reef tank, but due to weight and size requirements I have decided to stick to a 20 long. My goal is having played with a successful co2 system and regular fertilizing. I'm thinking I'll house dwarf puffers, but that is yet to be set in stone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Sounds fun. I'm sure you'll find it just as challenging and rewarding as a reef tank.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Sounds fun. I'm sure you'll find it just as challenging and rewarding as a reef tank.
Thanks slappy!

I purchased some bare essentials over the weekend: the tank a 20 long; filter, I can't remember the brand offhand but its an internal filter with a spray bar rated for 40gal; the substrate, 24lbs of CaribSea plant substrate; the light, a 24" 2 bulb T5 fixture. It came with a 16k bulb and a colormax bulb. Yes I realize this is too short for the tank. It was intentional. I built up the sides that the light doesn't directly cover to raise the plants higher. I also intend to plant the raised sides with Hygrophila Angustifolia or something similar. My goal is to have it grow up and then bend over towards the light.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
This is the view of my tann

uploadfromtaptalk1381775677769.jpg

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
It'll be nice to wake up to fish excitedly trying to swim at you in the morning. :thm:

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Well my first shirt said no to a co2 system....something about a container of compressed gas in a dorm being a bad Idea :nilly:

Ill have to settle with lower light plants. Suppose ill splurge on a stellar piece of manzanita instead.

prez2306

AC Members
Jun 25, 2010
Hmmm...would brewing an alcohol byproduct be possible? ;)

Personally not a huge fan of DIY but it's doable on a 20 long.
I agree with this. a 20L would (from what I've seen) be okay with just a single 2 liter bottle for DIY. I just recently switched everything in my 20L to a 46 bowfront, and can say that it is a fun tank to work with. Just do research on plants, as it is a shallow tank, and some plants will quickly outgrow the height. I had some spiralis purchased at about 4" and it was quickly growing along the top of the water (no co2, minimal ferts, high light).

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'd suggest dosing a liquid carbon supplement. It's more reliable than DIY CO2 (IME)

but there's nothing wrong with a lower-tech planted tank either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store