banana plant dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
my banana plant was purchased as just rhizomes.it grew 2 small leaves that quickly died.now the rhizomes are slowly turning brown and yellow.i have it in a 10 gallon.lighting is 2x13 watt spiral cfls.ph is 7.5.any clues?thanks.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
if the rhizome's roots are completely covered by substrate then they may have rotted away, therefore the rhizome will no longer grow and will cease in producing petioles or leaves. If you want to save it you should remove the roots from the substrate and inspect the corms for rot. Remove any soft spots with a clean razor and try restarting it in an emersed state without substrate of anykind. you should allow the roots to bury themselves as they seek nutes.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I set 3 on the substrate of my low tech tank. 2 turned to mush after putting out leaves for a while, but one rooted and shot a leaf to the surface. It's bananas rotted off after a few months, but the plant seems great

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
i have ecocomplete and the rhizomes are not planted,just sitting on top.is my water too hard?i use root tabs,api co2 booster,tetra flora pride and nutrafin plant gro.it is not mushy just discolored and no roots or leaves.all other plants are doing great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store