2 Blue Gouramis mating, 3rd one dead??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Maypea

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Texas
I have / had 3 Blue Gouramis in a community tank. I've had them for quite a while and one of them started building a bubble nest yesterday. He pretty much stays in the same corner of the tank shooting water/bubbles into his little nest spot between a piece of driftwood and the side of the tank. His color has turned magnificent, the spots on his fins are almost neon white/blue and his body looks almost like a zebra. The female's color gets deeper during spawning activity too. They've done a lot of the rubbing and have seen them in spawning embrace so there should definitely be eggs.

My concern is that, this morning, my smallest gourami was dead. I watched the male chasing around the large female with whom he's been mating; however, I never once saw him chase after the small one, so it couldn't have been a bullying death. Should I hold off on replacing the 3rd gourami? I like to have more than 2...but I don't want to add a new one to this tank if it's going to be in danger since I have no idea why my little guy died. I'm not even sure if the small one was male or female - I never bothered sexing it because it was still so small and I wasn't expecting any gourami breeding.

I also was not TRYING to breed any of my fish and the bubble nest was a surprise. I know I should probably be isolating the male alone with the bubble nest away from the female and other fish but I don't exactly know how to go about doing that without disturbing the nest.

55 gallons, sand substrate, floating driftwood, fake plants
Temperature: 80 degrees pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 40ppm (due for cleanup, I know)
Tankmates: 3 clown loaches, 3 tiger barbs, 3 Rainbowfish, 1 common pleco

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
At this point, you can't move him. If they breed, you can move the fry once they hatch and are out of the nest.

Even though you didn't see it, it's very likely that he killed the other gouramie.

Maypea

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Texas
At this point, you can't move him. If they breed, you can move the fry once they hatch and are out of the nest.

Even though you didn't see it, it's very likely that he killed the other gouramie.
You're probably right...I just never once saw him go anywhere near the little guy. They have been breeding. I've seen them embracing for long periods of time right beneath the bubble nest a couple of times already this morning and he has been tending to the nest constantly since yesterday morning. They stay on separate ends of the tank (48 inches long) when they're not spawning...should I try to find a tank divider to keep them away from each other and the other fish away from the nest, or will he do a sufficient job guarding it? I can't even tell if there are any eggs in the nest or not because they either look just like bubbles or he's covered them with bubbles already.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
He'll likely do a good enough job, but keep an eye on them since he might not be able to protect them once they become free swimming and EVERYONE will think the fry are snacks.

Maypea

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Texas
oh how exciting. I've only ever had guppy fry and just let them happen naturally and never really knew when they'd be born so we'd just save the ones we could once we noticed the little guys swimming around. I've watched these gourami spawn at least 5 times this morning so I'll know when to anticipate the hatching. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store