Film on surface of water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
So I am just getting over one of those stretches of time where I'm extremely busy for a few weeks. I slacked on my water changes for about 3 weeks. Yesterday I came home for the first time in a week and found that there was a protein looking film on the surface of my water. Cant add a picture atm but basically it looks like there are oil spots on the surface of the water if u hunch down and look upwards at the aquarium.

Fish look completely unaffected. Some corals look slightly worse than normal.

I also noticed that if I put my nose to the surface of the water, it is a less than pleasant smell that I get...not the regular marine reef aquarium smell.

I have slacked on my water changes before and have never seen anything like this. Anyone know what's up? Tank is about 3 years old

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I know that in fresh water, water changes and surface agitation go a long way to get rid of it.

Text

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
Farmer City Illinois
Real Name
Randall
ok check for a dead fish stuck in something as decorum somewhere and check fast .The oily film could be fat form the dead critter.I had a frog die in a decorative house and it nearly killed everything in the tank . If that's the case remove them to a different tank and do a complete cleanup sterilizing everything .

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
What? Why would you sterilize everything? Simply remove the dead animal, and, if parameters are out of line, do a water change. Besides, it could simply be (and likely is) simply build up from over feeding.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
ok check for a dead fish stuck in something as decorum somewhere and check fast .The oily film could be fat form the dead critter.I had a frog die in a decorative house and it nearly killed everything in the tank . If that's the case remove them to a different tank and do a complete cleanup sterilizing everything .
Don't do that. That will kill your bacteria off. If you have a dead fish just remove it and do a water change. Also, oily surface (biofilm) is really common. Try getting some more surface water agitation.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
So I've accounted for all the fish-none of them died. It's interesting that you mention overfeeding because i have indeed started feeding a little more since I increased the number of fish in my tank. Moreover, I discovered that one of my koralia's isn't pumping with as much force as usual. I think the combination of these two things is what is causing the film. Thanks guys!

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Happens to me from time to time when I slack on water changes. Best thing for me is prior to water change, use a SOLO cup slightly below the surface of the water to essentially skim the slick off the tank. Takes some time, but removes the slick. Then you can continue with your water change. If you simply do a water change, there is the potential you will only be removing water from the bottom and middle of the tank, and not catch the slick.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You might want to consider adding a protein skimmer. It will remove the organics, rather than just keeping them dissolved in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store