20 long reef build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i am planning on changing my 20 long planted into a reef tank, my plans are to keep a nice variety of corals with a few small fish and inverts. i have kept salt water before, but it has been some time.
here is what im working with right now
1- dual T-5 HO aquaticlife, with 1 10,000K, and 1 atninic blue (this light is hanging)
1- aqueon 20 HOB
1- aqueon 10 HOB
1- Koralia 425 water circulator
1- 100 watt stealth pro heater
I plan on getting 30 lb of live sand, and 15 lb of dry rock with 15 lb of live rock to start. I will be using instant ocean reef crystals as my salt.

Will this light be strong enough for most corals? is there something else i need like a protein skimmer/reactor. do i need more water movement, the old tank was open top can i keep the reef open top as well. will i need any other ferts/buffers like aquaverto 8.3 or calcium, or seachem reef plus. what do you guys/gals think.

thank you for your help

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
IMO the aqueon hob's are kind of a pain if you're not using their cart's can be done but Aquaclears are much more convenient, with an AC50 or bigger you could also just run a sponge and vertically and have a little area for chaeto, 110 you could hide your heater and even fit a skimmer in it.

Koralia nano 425 isn't a bad pump I've got a couple but for $10 more you can get the Tunze which works much better.

Marineland has a recall on the Stealth heaters, I believe they're still giving replacments to those who send the stealths back.

The 20L is pretty shallow so 2 t5ho's will let you grow some corals, no SPS but shrooms, zoa's some lps, even some anemone's. However 10k + actinic probably isn't the best bulb choices maybe 10k + blue or purple plus, maybe someone else can make a suggestion here I'm use to working with 4-8 bulbs when it comes to t5's.

Skimmer would be good to have but as long as you keep up on doing weekly water changes you can get away with out one on smaller size tanks, again with reef additives if you keep on the weekly changes you'll be replenishing most of whats lost, later on depending on corals you go with you may need to start dosing if you keep corals that suck up lots of calcium or other things. Will you be using RODI, distilled or tap water?

Open top all depends on what fish you want quite a few smaller fish are jumpers. Circulation is ok more wouldn't hurt between circ and filter pumps my 29g is pushing 1200gph.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes, due to the size of the tank, the 2 bulb T5 using quality (ATI, KZ, Geisseman) bulbs will grow most corals. I would avoid acros and clams and hosting anemones (although bubble tips might be ok). You can always add a quality LED strip later as well. LPS and softies will be fine.

I would suggest a good HOB or internal skimmer if you are not willing to add a sump (my recommendation but not required). Water changes (weekly) are going to be your best method of filtration and element replenishment. You will probably never need to dose the tank unless you upgrade filtration and lighting and load it up with SPS. If you do get a skimmer, you can lose the smaller HOB and use the other to a little mechanical media as well as carbon and GFO. If a skimmer isn't an option, I would suggest at least going with a larger HOB like an Aquaclear 70 or 110. No need for any buffers or the like unless you get a specific animal that requires them. The less tinkering you do the better on a tank this size.

Gonna want more flow. At least another 425 but perhaps something with a little more flow.

Also may want to consider a different heater. Stealths don't have the best track record. They supposedly fixed the problem but i wouldn't have one in my reef.

Last edited:

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
im sorry its a aqueon stealth pro heater. i do have a AC 110 i can use, but i didnt think my heater would fit in it. i plan on filling my filter up with foam. maybe adding a CPR skimmer. so what kind of bulbs you would you use. what other trace E should i use

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
ATI bulbs are great and probably the easiest to get. Geisemman, UVL and KZ are aslo good bulbs. I would use an ATI Blue+ and an ATI Aquablue Special. If you want a bluer look, go with 2 x Blue+. Really blue/deep ocean, go with a Blue+ and an Actinic or perhaps a Purple+. Aquablue Special will produce the most PAR with the Actinic producing the least. Keep in mind you tank is pretty shallow so you don;t need to pound it with light.

Dosing trace E should not need to be done on a tank this size as long as you are doing weekly water changes with a good salt. Possibly when the tank grows in you will need to consider dosing alkalinity, magnesium and possibly calcium. With a tank that size, you are going to be better off keeping it simple.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
ok sounds good. i am considering getting a protein skimmer as well. but i really dont want to spend the money that i used to on a CPR skimmer. what kinds will do the job but not break the bank, i dont want to get this at start up, it will be an add on. on my filters i changed my mind, i will the us the AC 110 full of seachem matrix, and the aqueon 20 for just foam, and the extra flow, with 2 koralia 425. i do not want the deep deep blue look. more like clear with the blue hew so maybe the ATI blue+ with aquablue special.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
i am going to get 29 lbs of algernite sand, and 1 lb of live sand, and 20 lbs of dry rock with maybe 10 or 15 lbs of live rock to start, then a week or 2 later i will get some turbo snails, maybe some shrimp, any thoughts on that

also my test kits is an api saltwater complete test kit, with added on calcium, and phosphorous test kit, i am using tap water, and mixing my instant ocean reef crystals salt 3 days before with a sump pump, air stone and a bag of phosgaurd in the bucket. at 5 gallons a week, or 3 gallons twice a week

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Tunze nano skimmer is a pretty good unit, aquatic life skimmer is pretty cheap but definently not as good as the Tunze.

I'd skip the turbo snails, or no more then one they need to eat a lot of algae or they starve and the temps of most reef tanks slowly kill them they are from cooler waters. Florida Ceriths, dwarf ceriths, nerites, nassirus are the types i'd go for. As far as shrimp I'd wait till the tanks more mature and stable say cycle finished and params steady for few weeks. You really only need to let the water mix overnight when making it enough time to clear up and get to temp.

Tap water can cause algae outbreaks, if you can't get a RODI unit I would try buying rodi from LFS it usually isn't to expensive. Tap water where I'm at is pretty good usually around 40tds which seems to be quite a bit lower then many areas with 100+ even still locals I know who've used tap had constant algae battles.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
yes i have had some algae problems in the past and with some of my planted tanks, i am in the process of buying an RODI system, but for now the tap will have to do, the algae was never a huge issue to keep up with, even when i kept discus the TDS was never a big problem with them, but like i said it is on the wish list.

I forgot all about nerites i have some in my fresh tanks, but i forgot they are saltwater snails. i planned on having this tank set up for about a month before i add sanils then again for maybe another month before more sensitive inverts, but i will be checking my prams twice a week and record them like all my other aquariums.

so you would recommend the tunze nano skimmer over the aquatic life. Is that skimmer HOB or ITT system?
thank you for all the help

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Tunze is internal but will not take up much space...

http://www.saltysupply.com/Tunze-DO...c_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds

Biggest concern will be keeping the water level stable in the tank. Otherwsie, very good skimmer compared to most HOBs.

Assume you meant aragonite sand? 30 lbs is a lot for a 20L. Personally, I would stick with 20 lbs of rock (or even slightly less).

Can't compare algae growth in a planted FW tank to a SW tank. Highly recommend that you start with RO/DI from the beginning. Its $0.26/gallon here.

I have had no trouble with my turbos but have heard similar concerns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store