Purpose of wood canopy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I'm looking into getting a nice 240g tank. Obviously it needs its own stand. From what I've seen, matching canopies go for a few hundred extra, and I have no idea what purpose they serve. Is it just to conceal stuff on top of the tank? Would they be pointless on a tank with overflows to a sump?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
The main thing for me is that they look great. It compliments the stand, conceals lids/lights, and serves as a mantle-like shelf. They also open up a few options for alternative lighting, but most people won't care about that.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
They make a tank look more finished and conceal the lights. They work for all tanks, even with overflows--most are open along the back to allow for cords and such. They help keep things out of the tank as well--if you don't have glass tops, for example.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Also, for some spouses, it hides things and makes the set up look better if it is in a room that serves other purposes besides a dedicated fish room.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They look good, keep out dust & cats & keep light glare from spilling into the room. They can be heavy to lift the lid & may make maintenance more difficult as they can add several inches to reach into the tank. Although with a 240g you might need a step stool anyway, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store