Brush Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Hi everyone, had brush algae appear for the first time a week or two ago in my 125g, and it's slowly starting to take over. I think it got added into the tank when I introduced more tiger barbs, they got put into the tank with water from the bag because I figured that "nothing would go wrong" and was too lazy to fish them out or mess with a net and the bag. (Plus no room for qt tank)

The algae started on my driftwood and is now slowly starting to spread onto some of my anubias and other parts of the tank, it looks a lot like this:
brush.jpg

The tank is an 125g with two 4 foot t8 shop lights with 2 6500k bulbs in each. Filtration is a marineland c canister, api nexx, and a beefy sponge filter. Ive scattered root tabs in the pool filter sand substrate for my swords and crypts, which have started to take off but slowed down once the algae came. I also have a bunch of wisteria, java fern, anubias and some scattered java moss I can't get rid of.

What can I do? I've read that blackouts don't work and Im having a hard time getting a hold of an SAE. My bristlenose pleco won't touch it, and my LFS's only suggestion, otos, would probobly be Jack Dempsey food. I can't take the fish out, and I don't want to use tons of chemicals either. What are my options here? Would an SAE do the trick? Is there another kind of fish that would help?

Im truly at a loss for what to do, the tank's been doing so great lately and then this happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brush.jpg

Last edited:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
The algae in the pic is also the extent of whats in my tank, it's just little patches that are slowly starting to creep bigger and bigger.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
It's called Black Beard Algae. A li'l peroxide will eliminate it and be safe for your fish and plants.

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
If you use the peroxide treatment, dose no more than 2ml. per gallon per day. I use a small dropper to dose the worst algae infected areas directly.
Ultimately, there is something amiss with your water chemistry that is resulting in this algea growth. Adding liquid carbon on a daily basis could help.

bigwater

AC Members
Feb 6, 2005
Physically remove as much as possible right away, if it gets out of hand you will be miserable. If you have co2 turn it up if not dose with excell.

milano123

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2013
You did a great job by posting these nice pics and descriptions of exotic tourist.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
That is some happy BBA. I've always got some of it in my 125g tank. It doesn't get out of hand, mostly stays on the driftwood and some of the hardscape.

Oto's don't touch the stuff. SAE's nibble on it and keep it down somewhat. Most snails don't eat it. Peroxide, and Excel kills the stuff. A green scrubbie also works well to get the stuff off of hardscape.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Been scraping it off the driftwood and just bought excel to dose it. No luck on any SAE's, so kind of giving up on that for now. My favorite anubias that takes up most of the tank is starting to get it bad, anything I can besides the excel dosing?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Just have your local LFS order you in some SAE's. My local one used to not have them until he figured out how fast they sold. Now he gets a batch just about weekly.

If it's spreading to your plants you'll really need to do some constant treatment. I'd do some extra water changes between treatments to allow you to try to get all of it dosed once in the next few days.

milano123

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2013
Just have your local LFS order you in some SAE's. My local one used to not have them until he figured out how fast they sold. Now he gets a batch just about weekly.

If it's spreading to your plants you'll really need to do some constant treatment. I'd do some extra water changes between treatments to allow you to try to get all of it dosed once in the next few days.
thanks for your sharing ...!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store