My favorite intake sponge is back!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
How does that work? Water is pushed into the UGF?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
How does that work? Water is pushed into the UGF?
Nah, I only use the sponge (which just happens to come with the kit) shoved onto an aqua clear. I can't find the exact same sponge sold separately, but I'd love to find out if they are. But it's only $6 anyway

Sent from my M736 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
@glabe try the fluval edge pre-filter sponge. My local "pet supplies plus" keeps them on the shelf. I believe petland has them al well. They are cut to fit perfectly over the intake of the aquaclear filters. Any fluval aquaclear dealer should be able to get them for you.

@fishfanman. RUGF it is indeed a reverse flow under ground filter. Fish only tank can benefit fromthe increased oxygen moving through the gravel.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Glabe,

I believe this is the sponge only, none of the plastic itself.

I can see using the sponges as replacements, but cannot see using them without the plastic strainer core.

so you might want to be thinking about http://www.marineland.com/Products/...d-Parts/Core-and-Adapter-Power-Head-660R.aspx too.

and I've used them as prefilters, they fit pretty well onto a rena XPx cannister filter intake. I have actually used them for RFUGF in the past too.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
@glabe try the fluval edge pre-filter sponge. My local "pet supplies plus" keeps them on the shelf. I believe petland has them al well. They are cut to fit perfectly over the intake of the aquaclear filters. Any fluval aquaclear dealer should be able to get them for you.
This is what I'm using now. It's great, but I just have such fond memories of the marineland one.

Glabe,

I believe this is the sponge only, none of the plastic itself.

I can see using the sponges as replacements, but cannot see using them without the plastic strainer core.

so you might want to be thinking about http://www.marineland.com/Products/...d-Parts/Core-and-Adapter-Power-Head-660R.aspx too.

and I've used them as prefilters, they fit pretty well onto a rena XPx cannister filter intake. I have actually used them for RFUGF in the past too.
Effing shoot, man. I was so excited, I was seeing what wasn't even in the description. I'll just try it without the strainer I guess, and order/jimmy one if it doesn't work.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Effing shoot, man. I was so excited, I was seeing what wasn't even in the description. I'll just try it without the strainer I guess, and order/jimmy one if it doesn't work.
Sorry,

I'm just a big party pooper...

I thought the whole Reverse flow kits were still on sale, but it appears not.

I'm going to look for somewhere selling the strainers alone, and buy a few more with the sponges.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Sorry,

I'm just a big party pooper...

I thought the whole Reverse flow kits were still on sale, but it appears not.

I'm going to look for somewhere selling the strainers alone, and buy a few more with the sponges.
Hmmm... I have a marineland canister laying around somewhere. .. I'll find it when I get home and check the intake strainer for size

And I have that same problem, authmal, but it lasts about a week before it sucks in too much. It's also close to needing replaced, but it's lasted almost a year.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think I've ever seen a strainer on a cannister filter that would be appropriate, they just aren't long enough.

In all my years, I've never seen anything appropriate for these specific sponges than the strainers that came with the 660R powerhead or the reverse flow kits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store