Is it Possible BioMax/Biological Material (in the AquaClears) NEEDS to be Replaced?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I came across this thread over at Aquatic Community:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/*************/showthread.php?t=109404

and it got me concerned about replacing the actual BioMax pellets in the AquaClear HOBs because we've been told, religiously, in this hobby that this media element should NEVER be replaced, only dunked/rinsed out in dechlorinated or removed tank water from time to time...

It seems someone in the above thread is suggesting these ceramic "noodles" or "rings" that comprise products like the BioMax (Hagen's variant; companies like Seachem offer their "Matrix" etc.) can actually CLOG UP after awhile, requiring raw replacement -- would anyone put any stock in this philosophy or does it hold any truth? I was under the assumption we could keep using bio material like this until it is literally crumbling to dusty pieces (considered highly unlikely by most hobbyists) without having to worry about replacing it anytime prior to that...:uhoh: :shakehead: :huh:

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Whoops...seems like that page I cited disappeared or was removed; my apologies...

Basically, the member was claiming that these porous ceramic pieces CAN in fact get clogged and become useless for bacteria growth...and that concerned me...

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive heard that over time the biomax media can break down and would need replacing but i wouldnt vouch for changing it all at once. If i ever find that i need to replace it i would do a quarter maybe a third at a time as to not destroy all the beneficial bacteria. That being said, i believe the biomedia is ceramic( not in all cases though) and it would take years to actually get to this point. So depending on what you use as biomedia i would say that yes eventually it may need to be replaced but at several small incraments.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Hmmm...interesting if a bit concerning feedback, 'trom...

I would think that physically any media material will need to eventually be replaced due to the inherent nature of "things breaking down"...but what I was more concerned with was the theories that suggest these pieces of bio material wouldn't be able to "hold" any beneficial bacteria any longer...and how we would actually be able to tell when that is by simply looking at the material...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, pish! I've had some biomax for 10+ years, though not in constant use. I keep it in a plastic mesh bag, occasionally rinse in either tank or tap water & rub the bits against each other. Sometimes a few sand size bits come off. I've boiled it+/or bleached it from disease carrying tanks & more sand bits came off. The biofilm of bacteria slime can clog the ceramic surface fairly fast & it probably doesn't have the surface area it once had but it still "works". I think you're worrying over a very small issue.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive seen those sand bits myself. But eventually it will need replacing because those sandbits will add up but obviously not for a LONG time. As for clogging up then yes it can and the film or whatever you want to call it wont hold as much BB as the media itself and thats why we wash it, rinse it, dunk it, etc.( to rid the media of the film) i forgot to mention in my last post that ceramics take decades to deminish so sorry for any confusion

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Oh, pish!
LMAO...:grinyes:

I've had some biomax for 10+ years, though not in constant use. I keep it in a plastic mesh bag, occasionally rinse in either tank or tap water & rub the bits against each other. Sometimes a few sand size bits come off. I've boiled it+/or bleached it from disease carrying tanks & more sand bits came off. The biofilm of bacteria slime can clog the ceramic surface fairly fast & it probably doesn't have the surface area it once had but it still "works".
Point taken; I was merely questioning it and thinking about it because it had been discussed in another forum...

I think you're worrying over a very small issue.
I wasn't worried, per se, just concerned...

Thanks for your reply.

BTW -- What part of Frisco are you in? Ever go to House of Prime Rib?

Last edited:

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Ive seen those sand bits myself. But eventually it will need replacing because those sandbits will add up but obviously not for a LONG time. As for clogging up then yes it can and the film or whatever you want to call it wont hold as much BB as the media itself and thats why we wash it, rinse it, dunk it, etc.( to rid the media of the film) i forgot to mention in my last post that ceramics take decades to deminish so sorry for any confusion

I suppose this is more in line with what I was trying to ascertain/get at; thanks again 'trom.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
So, in the proverbial nutshell, the ceramic bio material can't really "clog and fail" to hold bacteria (at least for a LONG time), can it?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Right. Keep in mind that beneficial bacteria can grow on glass or (relatively) low surface area decor, so, porosity aids in the density of the beneficial bacteria population, but isn't an absolute requirement. You'll have years of normal usage before you see any noticeable degradation in the ceramic media's ability to harbor beneficial bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store