Bristlenose eating Ludwigia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I just brought home healthy looking Ludwigia Palustris about 3 hours ago, and already it has torn up leaves from my 2.5"-3" (standard length) male BN pleco. I'm pretty disappointed since I like this guy... he gets a wafer piece as big as his head every other night, and zucchini at least once a week, so he's not starving. The leaves had some brown algae on them, but the otos had that cleared up before I got home and took the pic.

Did I get a crappy pleco? I hope not. Here's to hoping he'll leave the Ludwigia alone once the brown algae is definitely gone. Atm he's occupied by some wafer pieces I dropped in the tank.

uploadfromtaptalk1382515608785.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My BN scraped big holes in swords with diatoms but didn't bother rotala rotundifolia with it. Maybe the leaves were too small ? Try some romaine +/or zucchini more often, starving is in the eye of the diner, lol, mine was always hungry.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Might just be some rough feeding action that's ripping off leaves rather than actual digestion on purpose...could also be in conjunction with acclimating plants getting ready to drop some leaves anyways. I've personally never seen any Ancistrus destroy plants myself, although I suppose my individuals may just have been tree huggers...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have a bunch of albino ancistrus in a 55 with anubias.. they try to scrape algae from the anubias and actually wind up damaging some of the older leaves..
they generally don't do much damage to plants but in a few cases they can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store