4 years later.... a new setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snowgrrl83

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hello everyone!

4 years ago, I started a SW tank for the first time. I got a 20 gal nano and bought some t5HOs and tunze skimmer, 2 flow pumps, some liverock (I forget how much) and I was off to the races! My tank thrived for about the first year...until my in-laws decided they were moving with us for 8 months while their new house would be build. My beautiful tank was (mostly) algae free until, without asking my permission, my father-in-law decided to move my tank in front of a window. :wall: This is where the algae and the pitfall of my tank began. Don't get me started, I'm still upset they had moved in in the first place. Algae started showing up, cleaning was just endless and no cheato could get this under control, and I didn't have space in a darker area of the house since my in-laws had taken over my house. I eventually started to neglect the tank, and one day, my skimmer broke. I had been able to fix it before, but not this time. So to the garbage it went. I also need new lights and the live rock are so full of algae that I've decided that I should just get rid of my current setup and start from scratch! I

I want to stick to nano since my funds are limited. I would also like LED since I really hate changing bulbs every 6 months. How are LEDs fairing for everyone? I was thinking about getting a biocube. Does anyone have any thoughts on those? Are they complete kits with skimmer and enough water circulation (and heater)?? All I would have to do is buy the biocube, some new algae-free LR, let it cycle for a month and then transfer some of my current critters to their new location. Ideas? Thoughts?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry to hear about the downfall of your tank but glad to hear you are sticking with it. There is nothing wrong with biocubes but there are better AIO nanos out there now, IMO. I would always choose to build a system from components over an AIO system but realize that just doesn't work for some.

As far as AIOs go, the Red Sea Max are great but are a pretty penny (new anyway). I was at MACN this year and must say the Innovative Marine AIOs were pretty impressive. Little more than a BC but well built from what I saw. I really like the fact that they offer some "non-cube" options. I am not sure their LEDs (theye have several options now) are the best but probably will be comprable to the power compacts that come with a BC (without the heat or bulb change outs). You can probably buy the tanks without the lighting but not sure.

LED experiences are all over the map. Some buy them, hate them and go back to T5 or MH, while some love the results. Its all about the quality of the fixture and how well you acclimate your corals to the new lighting. For me personally, I am a fan of T5s and I own a pair of Kessil A360s. Of the LEDs that I have seen, I like the spectrums Kessil kicks out more than any other. I don't hate my LEDs but may go back to T5 in the future. The technology is changing daily so do your homework before you by and try and see some of the lights in person.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
ZooMED is putting out a new model of LED that will produce more light and have replaceable modules, so you can customize the spectrum, or replace a dead bulb. I'd go that route if I were in the market.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Aqua Illimination, Ecotech and Vertex have had that option for a while. The higher end and more reputable manufacturers are catching on. Not being an elitest when saying this but I don;t think I would trust a light made by ZooMED over my reef. I would definitely consider them for a reptile light though :).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
One of the reps showcased the light at a meeting earlier this month. He acknowledges that they're late to the LED game, but he's had one on his own tank for a month now and is pleased. Based on the demo of removing the bulbs, as well as a direct comparison to their other units, I'd try the lower cost option first. It has a number of nice features.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store